Internet Accessing Problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jkeith

Hi, everyone

I am a windows xp home edition user running the service pack 2 security edition. My main problem is accessing the internet. I am using chater communications 3.0mbps cable internet. For some strange reason all of a sudden i cannot access then internet. I know It's not the modem causing the problem simply because my mom uses router connected to the modem and she still can access the web. And it's not thecables such as the ethernet cord because we used another cable and it still didn't connect, and its not the network adapter because I ran a system diagnostics and that passed and said the networking adapter was working fine. I've done everything possible to figure out whats wrong and I cannot seem to find the source of the problem. I have not been able to access the net for a few days now and its hurting me because its my life, I am a WebDeveloper and access to the web is something I cannot be without. So will some one please lend some help?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Give this a try first.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Jkeith

When the command prompt opens how do I enter that information?

Jkeith,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am a Network Engineer and i work for Charter Communication in their NOC center in Louisville,KY.
What state are you from?

Back to your problem.
There could be 100's of possible causes to your problem.
here are some suggestions:
1. try to ping out your default gateway aka router)
Go to start-run-type cmd-on the blinking prompt type ipconfig
That will give you your IP and your default gateway. Try to ping your default gatewa. If you cannot ping your gateway then your PC cannot talk to your router (if you have router between modem and pc). If you don't have router your default gateway will be on Charter's headend. Try to pingthat. If you cannot ping default gateway then call charter's help desk, because it could be something on their side.
2. Try to ping google (ping www.google.com) by name and by IP (ping 64.233.187.99)
If you can ping by name but nop by IP (or vica versa) then you might have DNS problem.
3. Look at the lights on your modem. Depending on the brand you should have cable light that should be solid. If cable or connection light is blinking then you have signal issues (call Charter)
If you have one of those "no name" modems those are Ambits. Flat and gray. They should have sync and ready lights. Both should be solid. If they're not, call charter.

Hope this help

220VOLT-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY HIGHWAY
Your source for Networking, Computers, IT Exams, free E-books and more...

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Jkeith said:
When the command prompt opens how do I enter that information?
Just enter the line in bold and hit the Enter key.

If that fails, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

Jkeith

JohnWill said:
Just enter the line in bold and hit the Enter key.

If that fails, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.
Thnx to everyone for helping out...

Hey John, here are the results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JERALD

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-DC-FA-A1-70

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.237.164

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

That's exactly what it displayed in the text file.

So just let me know what I should do next....Thanks alot for the help

Jkeith

Well, I just recently discovered I can access the web using dial-up....but I need my high-speed. lol....And I will check my firewall settings....Thanks for the suggestion...

Also, I think I did the pinging correctly but im not sure....

this is apipa and its what your PC runs home to when it does not get an IP address. I suggest doing johnwill's suggestion.

once the command prompt opens you should have a blinking cursor and you just type in those command lines.

that will probably fix it IF as your saying all hardware checks out. Did you put your mom's computer into the port of the router where your non working computer is and reboot her computer to see if its a port on the router problem?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Besides the stack reset, you should make SURE the cable is good, since that's another prime reason for getting a 169.254.x.x. address.

Jkeith

Ok, so you do you suggest getting a new ethernet cable? If so, I will go get a new one immediately!

if anyone else has suggestion just post away

Jkeith

I got a new ethernet cable but that still didn't help my problem....and I ran another network diagnostics and it said my network adapter is working properly.

This is really crazy. I connected my ethernet directly to my modem (like its supposed to be) and it refuses to connect. Yet, my mom still can access the web with a router.

Please, someone has 2 have a solution for this!! lol

Howdy folks...

Jkeith...

Try this...

Start regedit - navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll down to the key Winsock, and delete it, then delete the key Winsock2...

This is very important, reboot the pc, after you reboot right click on My Network Places - Properties - right click on Local network connection - Properties - click on the Install button - click to highlight Protocol - click on the Add button - in the Select Network Protocol box click on Have disk - in the Copy Manufactures files from box type in C:\Windows\inf - click to highlight Internet Protocol and OK...

Once it is finished adding the protocol, reboot the pc...

Jkeith

Jedi_Master said:
Howdy folks...

Jkeith...

Try this...

Start regedit - navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

Scroll down to the key Winsock, and delete it, then delete the key Winsock2...

This is very important, reboot the pc, after you reboot right click on My Network Places - Properties - right click on Local network connection - Properties - click on the Install button - click to highlight Protocol - click on the Add button - in the Select Network Protocol box click on Have disk - in the Copy Manufactures files from box type in C:\Windows\inf - click to highlight Internet Protocol and OK...

Once it is finished adding the protocol, reboot the pc...

Have you checked the routers DHCP to make sure its set to give enough DHCP leases?
Do you get internet access if you hardcode the information? to do this get all the ipconfig /all information from your mom's PC and then input it into your TCP information with the exception of the last octet of the IP information increment that number from the original number to something between 2 and 254.

Let us know if hardcoded if you get a connection or not.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online