internet and xbox 360 live using a switch?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spdsk8ters-mom

hi, I am pretty knew at computers so I need simple instructions, but I have comcast cable internet and am trying to get xbox live at the same time by using a wired switch-Dynex 5 port. I have done this before by paying for an additional IP address and it was fine. This time it won't work and I was told by tech support that my switch is A/B. Not true but thay couldnt help me any more. I called Dynex tech support and they said I had to set my computer up as a server auto switch. This is all over my head and have no clue how to do that. Can anyone help me?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Maybe if you told us the exact make/model of the modem and teh switch it would help.

If you are paying for multiple public IP addresses, you should be able to use a standard Ethernet switch.

What I don't understand here is, why not use a router and not pay a monthly charge for a secondary public IP address, it's a much easier way to do this?

spdsk8ters-mom

Yeah a router would be better and I plan on getting a wirless router soon but I wanted to let the kids play for a couple a weeks until I get the money for the equipment. Anyway, modem is a RCA by Thompson digital broadband model dhg536 and the switch is a Dynex 5 port model dx-esw5. Hope that helps. Sorry didnt reply sooner. I let the kids play and had to go without internet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online