1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet backup of files

Discussion in 'General Security' started by stanstash, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stanstash

stanstash Thread Starter

Comcast is offering me 2 gigs of free backup. My documents file has sensitive and personal data. Am I safe using their backup? I currently back up my documents on a thumb drive.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. Stoner

Stoner Banned

You're not alone , Mumbodog.....

stanstash, you really should be using something other than a 'thumb' drive for backups.
    They don't seem to have the reliability/dependability of other means like an external hard drive .
    If you do go with storing backups online, it would be wise to encrypt the files first.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Whats wrong Stoner, no hot debate going on. ;- )

5. stanstash

stanstash Thread Starter

Could you please give me the procedure to encrypt a file? I have Windows XP.

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

:Ds

7. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I've never been involved in online backups.
    You might check to see if the software with your Comcast deal, offers encryption as an option

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Comcast actually uses Mozy, and it is encrypted.

Overview Tab
    http://mozy.com/home/features/

9. stanstash

stanstash Thread Starter

Thank you for your help

10. phyrtech

phyrtech

Like most online backup services, Mozy encrypts data as it passes over the Internet meaning people between you and Mozy will have a very hard time seeing your data. Mozy uses 128-bit encryption which is still considered adequate for most applications.

That said, you would need to check with Mozy to see how your data is secured on their end once it has been transferred to their systems. I would suspect they have gone to great lengths to ensure your data's integrity and security as they serve many clients who have critical business data that is highly confidential.

I suppose in a strange sense online backup could be considered cloud computing, however, the term cloud computing is generally reserved for other things like clustered application hosting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

If you take nothing else from this post, please take this:

When using any backup software, it is equally important to verify that you can reload data effectively in the event of a catastrophic failure. So I don't get sued, I will replace the name of the company to which I am refer with a pseudonym.

I had a rather large business client who was utilizing a product named Pozy Professional to back up their server. I told them constantly that they needed to install our 24/7 monitoring software (which would have caught their problem before it happened). I also recommended that they use our backup software, but they decided to go cheap because they had a "good" online backup already. So their RAID array threw a drive... and then another... all within 24 hours. So I came out and did a re-install and began to restore their data from their "good" Pozy Professional backup. In the end, they got about 60% of their data and it took 4 days to accomplish with many headaches. Their bill for services rendered far exceeded their contractual allotment and they received a massive invoice not to mention the days of lost productivity.

They added our 24/7 monitoring software and online backup to their service contract the next day... (I was surprised that they didn't blame me for the failure. Apparently they remembered my torrent of e-mails telling them they were in grave danger)

So, just because the software says that your data is backed up doesn't mean that it's usable. This problem occurred some time ago and maybe the Pozy company has improved their software since. I am just strongly suggesting that you actually test it. Add a bogus directory full of files to the backup and see if you can recover them.

11. stanstash

stanstash Thread Starter

Thank you very much; I will certainly consider your advice before acting.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The bottom line is that you need an off-site back up solution. Look what happens in a natural disaster. Having your data backed up on an external hard drive that sits right next to the computer does you absolutely no good If the house floods, blows away, burns down, etc. Backing up to the cloud is a great alternative. Pick a reputable company.

13. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Is there some reason that one of those disasters can't happen at the site of an online backup company?

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Give me a break. Apparently you've never seen a data center. And obviously you don't pick one right next door to you. :rolleyes: Unless you're talking about what happens to your data in the event of the apocalypse. Then I suppose you're out of luck.

15. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Natural disasters are now an apocalypse :D

BTW...Carbonite has lost data in the past.....hardware failure as I remember.
    And I remember hearing of several online backup companies going bankrupt and data suddenly inaccessible.
    So online backup companies carry risk, too.

Multiple backup plans are wise. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice