1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Bandwidth Issue - router? service provider?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SirCrayon, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirCrayon

SirCrayon Thread Starter

Hello All,

I share an internet connection with 4 other people. We currently have Rogers Ultimate - 50 Mbs up/ 2 Mbs down. We use Rogers built in wireless/modem all in one. Some people are wireless others wired.

When there is no one on the network other than me, I can get speeds of 50 Mbs (speedtest.net)

But when more people connect it can drop to as low as 0-5 Mbs with no P2P/streams/downloads running on their computer.

I have a feeling that it could be an issue with the router. Is there a possibility that by them just being connected to the network, our bandwidth speeds drop? Does it matter the type of router we use?

When people do use P2P, streams etc will it use up all the bandwidth it possibly can or only what it needs? I am wondering because it feels like that when I run my P2P clients, my internet is the same weather its 20Mbs or 50Mbs.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

No, just being connected would not cause this, unless these people have viruses. P2P is a problem because most ISPs monitor it, and the ISP itself might be cutting you down for participating. But in general Im thinking either someone is hiding something, someone has a virus, or your ISP has caught on.

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we cannot help you resolve any issues with P2P here
    so its going to be difficult to provide any support - other than remove all the P2P software from all the PCs - which I suspect is not something your housemates will do

so closing the post and please review our rules here which you agreed to on signing up

http://www.techguy.org/rules.html

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice