1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet browser closes and some programs close...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bustardvan, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bustardvan

bustardvan Thread Starter

Hi everyone, I am running XP SP2 on an Apple Macbook pro. Everything had been fine up until a couple weeks ago when my internet browser began unexpectedly closing. I noticed the browser (Internet Explorer and Safari for Windows) would close on sites such as http://security2.comcast.net/get-help/mcafee_free_scan.aspx?cid=NET_33_49 , - this site is Comcast's McAfee freescan.( Whatever this site activates or runs causes the browser to close). I tried going to this site after experiencing this to see if I had a virus or spyware that was causing the issue but I can't open this site on this computer. Navigating from Comcast's homepage then to the Security page, and then clicking on "Check Your Computer" would just cause the browser to close with no message. I am able to go to the check you computer link on my other computers.

I searched the net for this issue and most of the people who were experiencing the browser closing unexpectedly had a java issue. I uninstalled java and reinstalled it and still no help. I also disabled it in the browser settings. I also uninstalled and reinstalled both browsers. I have also purchased spyware doc with virus scan and firewall and although it found a few low-level spyware, it didn't fix my problem.

I assumed it was related to the internet applications and I found that people suggest the application HiJackThis to get a log of what's going on. So I downloaded the application and when I tried installing HiJackThis I couldn't. After double clicking the .exe file, I got a flash of the install screen and it closed, just like when the browser closes.

Now I'm thinking its a virus or something since its not only regarding webpages.
    I appreciate everyone's help and input. This issue is driving me crazy.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice