Internet browser connection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TopGreyed

This problem is that I have an active internet connection (dial-up) but neither of my two browsers (IE6 and Netscape) can find any websites. This is running XP Pro.

It's as if the connection isn't recognized as being there? I've tried pinging but that doesn't work either.

What can go wrong between having an active connection (shown on the task-bar icon) and having it accessible to applications? What can I check on?

TIA, guys!

TopGreyed :confused:

Does your ISP issue an IP address? Have you tried ipconfig to see your default gateway? If so, can you ping that address?

welcome to TSG

Couple questions for you...

By active connection you mean that you use a dialup service? Usually active connections are via cable modem and or dsl... dial up is dial up. Just curious

Second under properties for network places LAN (properties again) and TCP/IP properties are you settings set you 'obtain IP address automatically' and same for DNS? If not make note of what you have in 'use the following IP address boxes and switch the settings to obtain IP (and DNS) address automatically

TopGreyed

BannerGuy said:
welcome to TSG
Couple questions for you...
By active connection you mean that you use a dialup service?
Second ... are yoru settings set to 'obtain IP address automatically' and same for DNS?
It is dialup (by active I meant that it is definitely connected) and the settings are to obtain an IP address automatically and same for DNS.

I'll have to go back to the PC to double check on the other stuff (it's not actually my machine I'm sorting). Many thanks to all who replied... I'll let you know what develops.

TopGreyed :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts