Internet Browser?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
There are three major contenders... IE, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera... they're all good, and each has it's strong points. I have all three on my computers, but I mainly use IE.

Don't forget the IE shell browsers...

Avant Browser

Maxthon

Slimbrowser

Crazybrowser

*Disclaimer: I'm a moderator at the Avant Support Forums.

~Eric

LauraMJ

Administrator
Mozilla Firefox. Very basic when first installed for those that don't want a lot of doodads and bells and whistles. But has infinite bells, whistles, and doodads to add on as you like.

tedwinder

Thanks for your help. I use Firefox at the moment but I will try Maxthon and tel you how I get on.

tedwinder

I've tried Maxthon. I don't like it. It's too fiddly! Too many buttons and useless options.

Ted, I'm sure that Maxthon has a very customizable interface, like Avant. You can probably turn off most of those items and functions you don't use. Here's a screenshot of my Avant Browser... it's pretty minimalist:

*click for bigger pic

shell browser simply mean browsers that are running on INTERNET EXPLORER engine.

here is another,

Deepnet Explorer - Web + P2P + News Browser
Deepnet Explorer is the first browser with fully integrated P2P file sharing capabilities and a built-in RSS/ATOM news reader. It's free, so now it's easy to browse the web, share files and read news ... antiphising site detector too.

i have been using this for over a year, with the antiphishing, it give me peace of mind when visiting certain web sites.

www.deepnetexplorer.com

tedwinder said:
Thanks, but what is a shell browser?
Hi again, Ted.

A "shell" browser is an application that utilizes the core program of a full-fledged browser. In the case of those mentioned above, they all use the Internet Explorer rendering engine... the heart of IE. However, as you can see from my screenshot, their interface is unique. It's highly customizable (at least in the case of Avant) and has many features the the basic IE lacks.

See ya'...

~Eric

While you're experimenting you might as well try Opera. It's now completely free and comes fully equipped, so you don't need extensions. It's a small d/l, (unless you opt to install Sun Java as well which I personally think is a good idea) and even then should only be about 12MB (or even less); http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/?platform=windows

In my, admittedly jaundiced, opinion, using any browser not based on IE is a major plus for your security.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online