Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Browsers Stop Working

993 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  zuckerj 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am experiencing a bit of a weird problem.

Problem Description:
After an undetermined amount of time the internet browsers, and various other internet applications, cease to work. If I attempt to run PUTTY, when I make an attempt to connect I get an error related to a Buffer Overflow. I am, however, able to successfully PING destinations during this state. To temporarily resolve the problems all I need to do is Log Off and Log back on and everything works again for a while (a few hours). I ran Adaware, and SpyBot Search and Destroy, then booted up in Safe Mode (with System Restore OFF) and did a complete scan with Norton AntiVirus. Found a few things, but nothing too major. This seemed to make things better for a while, but then it started happening again.

System Details:
Toshiba P35-S611 running WinXP. As far as I know, OS is up to date with all updates. The Internet Borwsers I use are IE6 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4.

Any help very appreciated as I cannot fathom the reason for this weird behavior.

Attached is a HiJackThis Log.

Jz.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This problem is happening every few hours. Are there any suggestions as to how I can investigate further?

Additional info, apparently other internet apps can continue working during this state. Example:

I was playing On-Line Poker via a locally executed application and experienced no difficulties. When I quit out of the application I discovered that both my Internet Browsers, again, did not function (they startup, but they are unable to resolve any sites).

A little more info:
Internet explorer seems to attempt to load a requested page but then responds that the page is cannot be resolved (I'll write update what the exact message is when this happens again). But Mozilla Firefox does not seems to even make an attempt to load the page. You make a request and it just returns an IMMEDIATE blank page.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

#4 ·
Thank you for the response.

No, neither browser works. Just that their behavior is slightly different. It appears to me that this is related to the browser applications ability to communicate with the IP protocol stack. The question is why is this happening, and what can I do to fix it. As I also mentioned, other internet apps have issues as well, such as when I try to use PUTTY (after the browsers stop working) I get the buffer error. But if I go to a command prompt and try a PING command, that seems to work fine, so the computer's ability to comunicate over the internet hasn't been completely compromised.

This does seem to be on the application level, but something a little deeper than a specific application issue as there are a number of applications affected.

Jz.

#6 ·
Ran the WinSockFix. Fixed the situation for a few days, but now it's happening again.

Haven't really been doing anything on this machine other than webmail.

This seems to be something that has to do with an accumulation of something. When I try to run PUTTY (just a small SSH telnet application) when the internet problems are occurring i get a "Out of Buffer Space" error.

Also, as stated above, to reset everything I simply log out, and log back in (not restart or shutdown).

I need to have this machine on and accessible 24 hours for remote access so I need to figure out what is causing this problem. Really don't want to have to reinstall the OS. Any help VERY appreciated.

Jz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.