1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet but can't browse

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Oliverhawkins, Feb 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Oliverhawkins

Oliverhawkins Thread Starter

Hi,

My computer has connected to the internet but the browsers keep timing out, so I can't access the internet.

It was working earlier but then stopped when I downloaded a series on uTorrent.

There is nothing wrong with the router as I can connect to the internet on my phone. It is just my computer.

Help please I am in a hospital and was hoping to get on with some work.

Running Windows 7

Thanks in advance

Oli

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What site are you trying to connect to when your browser fires up?

Have you tried going to a different webpage?

But then the downloading of uTorrent could have a big impact.
    What did you download?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

When you say "series" I assume you mean TV series. Did you download any applications ? And did you run them ?

4. Oliverhawkins

Yes, TV series Orville. I used tor browser.

5. Oliverhawkins

Tried different webpages, it is very strange. It might just be a coincidence. With uTorrent. Basically I am in hospital today sign in to the wi-fi and it works on phone and computer. Still says connected to the internet. But no access. I have tried a bunch of CMD promtp things. (Flush, reset, etc)

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

So in the hospital your laptop works. But at home, your laptop can't surf ?

7. Oliverhawkins

No, my laptop was fine at home. I am now in hospital. I signed into the hospital WiFi on my laptop and phone. Both were working fine. However now the laptop connects to the internet, says it has internet connection, but when you open any browser it times out on all websites. I thought it might be a router issue but my phone is still connected and can surf fine plus no one else is having this issue.

It is like a firewall or something but I tried turning that off and it had no effect.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

I asked previously if you also downloaded any applications from utorrent and ran them. You didn't answer that question.

The hospital may have security restrictions set up to detect torrenting and shut your ip off. Orgnanizations don't want to be held liable for pirating lawsuits.

Or it may not have anything to do security and you simply used up too much bandwidth and was automatically shut off.

9. Oliverhawkins

I think it must be that, I have just turned it on and it is working fine again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice