1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet but no server access

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cybernia_nyc, Apr 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. cybernia_nyc

cybernia_nyc Thread Starter

I've been dealing with this problem at a client's that's driving me batty. They had Fios installed and the installation guys did something to the wired internal network that screwed it up. Everyone now gets internet but nobody's machine can see the server.

I can ping the server but no icon shows up on any screen. The server gets internet as well. What am I missing here? It's a Windows server, 2008 or 12 I think. I'm a bit unsure of what version of server because I haven't been there in over a year, until last week so I think that's what it is.

Oh anmd it's not a domain but a workgroup since there are only 4 users hooked up.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you set up the file sharing (after the Fios installation) as if it had never been set up before?

3. cybernia_nyc

I actually didn't change any settings. I'll have to look at that. Thanks.

4. cybernia_nyc

So old client called me in. They got FIOS and they still have the old wired network, Win 2008 server. Server sees workstation IPs but they don't see the server, as in no icon. I can ping the server's IP but workstations can't connect. If I http://IP address, browser says it can't find it. It's making me nuts because it's just a small 4 person office so the set up is pretty simple.

5. cybernia_nyc

I setup file sharing and lessened the security on server still nothing. Can ping server IP but not connect.

6. cybernia_nyc

just noticed server can see workstations but not vice versa

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    any firewall changes?

8. cybernia_nyc

Yes. I turned it off for now

9. cybernia_nyc

okay. now the work station I'm using sees the other PCs but not the server

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I merged your threads here. Please do not start multiple threads on the same topic.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225619

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice