1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet commection and Audio not working after dabbling in MS config

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Calili, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Calili

Calili Thread Starter

Hi, I need some assistance here.

I am having problems with my other laptop on Windows8 (upgrade from Windows 7). I was annoyed by an update that seem stalled so I tried to dabbled in msconfig. I tried disabling services under service and when I restarted it, my wi fi and audio suddenly won't work. Says it's not enabled and when I try to enable these two, my laptop says that it cannot be found. I tried rebooting it on normal mode, diagnosis mode and . selective startup but to no avail. I even tried rebooting it on safe mode with networking but I still was not able to get to my internet (not an internet issue since I can still use another laptop on the same wifi)

I hope someone can help me here.

2. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    1. The "General" , by default, should be on Selective startup, with Load system services and Load startup items, selected
    2. Under the "Services" tab, try the option "enable all" (small square bottom right)
    3. In the "boot" windows, ensure you have UNticked "Safe boot"

Assuming you have not modified anything elsewhere, this should get you back to some normality.

3. Calili

Calili Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I tried what you said but it's still the same... Could it be that the stalled update affected it?

My laptop says it cannot detect a Network hardware and it cannot detect audio

4. davehc

First Name:
    David
    There is no reason why an unfinished update would have disconnected your wifi. But, wild guess from your post, it looks like your wifi might have failed prior to your "dabbling", which was the reason for the update stalling?

But look in the services Tab, again, in Msconfig. Run down the list and ensure all are now running.

If everything appears normal, open the Control panel - Device manager. Scroll down to Network adapters and click. See if there are any yellow marks, indicating something not working. Right click you wireless adapter and click enable.
    If, however, you do not see a wireless adapter under that item, then there would appear to be a problem with the card.
    The point that is troubling me here is the Audio. I cannot, offhand, think of any common function between that and the internet!
    You could also try clicking the network icon (if you can see one!) and making sure that you have connected correctly to your router.

5. Calili

Calili Thread Starter

All are checked but some services are "stopped". These are:
    Adobe flash
    Windows Audio
    Google Update Service(gupdate)
    Google Update Service(gupdatem)
    Mozilla Maintenance
    Windows Installer
    Network List Service
    Windows Store Service

The Network adapters(Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter, Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter and Realtek PCIe GBE family Controller) have no yellow marks and are all enabled, So does the Sound, video and game controller(high Audio Definition Device). Clicked on them and it says they are all working properly. The only one with yellow mark is my printer. I think it's because my printer is currently turned off (I print via wi fi). I think the hardwares are okay, but I don't know what is preventing these to "function".

Edit: Under Devices and Printers in the Control Panel, there is this "Change Windows To go to start up options", I don't think I have seen this before.

6. Calili

Calili Thread Starter

I would like to add that when I click on the sound icon in the task bar, it says "Hardware changes may not be detected". As for the Networks it's just "no connections are available.

I have been trying to restore it to a previous setting but it won't let me

I would also like to add that when I go to Sound settings in the control panel, it says there are no audio installed. Do I need to download the driver? If so, how do I know know which driver do I need install?

I also recently discovered that my Office 2010 was "de installed". It wants me me to reinstall and reactivate it...

I'm not sure about the network. The taskbar icon is not the icon when the internet goes out, it looks different.

Edit: I went to the task manager and to the services tab and it shows that most of it are disabled. I'm not sure how to enable them. I have already enabled the services on msconfigure many times. Could this be a Windows 8 bug?

I did disable the services before my Windows 8 laptop went "bonkers" but I have enabled it many times. And when I check the services tab in msconfigure all are checked, most are running with a few "stopped" services.

7. davehc

First Name:
    David
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!