1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connected but No Access!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jon G, Jan 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jon G

Jon G Thread Starter

Hello All

I have a major problem with my PC. It's been fine but yesterday I turned it on and Windows XP Pro was locked. I couldn't remember the password so I went to user accounts.

In the control panel, several items were missing, including user accounts and internet options.

The bizarre thing is I can connect to the internet but I cannot download any pages. The error: 'cannot find null' comes if i try.

In internet diagnostics, it says i have to go to internet options (which has disappeared!) and do soemthing with the proxy server.

Another error that comes is 'MSIMG32.dll was not found'. This comes if I click on 'help and support' and sometimes 'control panel'.

So that's about it! Any help very much appreciated.

Jon.

2. lynandlloyd

lynandlloyd

Can you do a system restore?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    im going to go out on a limb and ask a really stupid question. have u recently reinstalled windows and didnt activate it?if so u have 30 days in which to do so.after that u will be locked out of the computer until its activated. is your copy of windows xp pro legit with a proper coa sticker?if it isnt of course it wont activate.if its not that then someone will come by im sure with better suggestions.hope this helps u.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

5. Jon G

Jon G Thread Starter

Many thanks for the replies! I don't know how to do a system restore but I will look into it.

As for activating windows, I'm sure this was done. It's been fine for many months. Just crashed for no apparent reason.

Thanks again. Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Jon.:eek:

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/791718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice