1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection breaks off on network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by faiz, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi !
    Need some help here, not too experienced in networking.

I have this setup at my makeshift office.All these are wired connections
    These are my components
    3 computers + dlink adsl router + pronet switch 8port

This is my setup
    The internet cable--- adslrouter --- switch(8 port) ----both the desktop computers and the laptop are connected to the switch.

i can browse and all ok.

My problem is that I have connectivity issues practically twice a day on my laptop . Suddenly while surfing I loose the connection . It would not restart . Then manually I switch off/on the dlink adsl router and wait for a while then all would be ok.

Any solutions to this problem? Am I missing something here? is there any setting to be changed in the network settings.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since this appears to be a router issue, here are some things you can try here, listed in the order you should try them.

1. For wireless connections, remove all the stored wireless profiles and search for networks. You'll have to enter the encryption key again, which is sometimes the issue for connection problems.
    2. For wireless connections, change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    3. For wireless connections, try moving either the wireless router/AP or the wireless computer. Even a couple of feet will sometimes make a big difference.
    4. Update the network drivers (wired and wireless) on your computer to the latest available.
    5. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    6. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What about the other two computers? Do they maintain their connections when the laptop loses its?

4. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thanks for replying !

Johnwill the I would be able to update the drivers in the router, but reconfigure is going to be dicey if i spoil something the other 2 computers are effected.

Terrynet this is a tough question cause the other machines are basically accounts machines in another room and most of the time they are just being used for accounts purposes, but yes ! once I did go up to them when I lost my connection (laptop) and they were working fine .

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If the other computers are still connected then the router is less of a suspect.

Please show the following for when you have a good connection and again for when you've lost it. Also the next time you lose connection try to regain it w/o touching the router. Things you could try are to disable and re-enable the connection (in Network Connections); reboot the computer; or remove the ethernet cable and reconnect it.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

6. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thanks Terrynet ,

I will certainly try this on monday at the office, will get back to you soon.

take care

7. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi ! Terrynet ,
    I did not have any issues for 2 days and right now this is what happened.

This is the ipconfig /all result

When my internet is working

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-38-F0-79
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.75
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 59.185.0.50

End

When I lose my connection

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connecti
    on
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0A-E4-38-F0-79
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.75
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 59.185.0.50

I went over to the other computers and opened the browser the net was fine there. When I come back to my laptop, the net is fine out here.
    Now I am confused when I left the laptop i could not access the internet and after I go and use the internet on other machine, my laptop then can access the internet.
    Did the other machine kick start the laptop Internet connection ?

8. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Update
    Now when I lost the connection,
    I again went to the other computer and this time the connection was lost there as well.
    So I did the following and no luck
    Finally I had to off/on the dlink router and reboot my laptop then all was well.

Please assist.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The randomness plus the fact that at least sometimes multiple computers are impacted points more and more to what John said initially: "this appears to be a router issue." The 8 port switch is another common element and can't be ruled out completely, but since the router reset is what appears to be the only "fix" the router seems to be more likely. Can you connect some or all the computers directly to the router?

The way to relieve most of the anxiety about reconfiguring the router (or configuring its replacement that will someday be necessary) is to record the current configuration. Browse through all the important configuration pages and record the settings. Some people cleverly save screenshots to their computer. There's also the pen and paper method as well as using a text editor or word processor to note the settings.

10. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Could you please guide me as to reconfiguring the router real newvbie in this, but eager to learn.
    Although going for a new adsl router is no issue, quite reasonable these days... but if I could go through all the steps of checking and reconfiguring I too could learn something new.

My request would be, not to point me out to some website, since some of the sites talk about networking in general, I would be grateful if you could point me in the direction of my present configuration.

I would not be able to connect 3 computers to the router since the wan port is only 1 unlike a broadband router which has a 3 to 4 lanports.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Not sure what guidance you're requesting. Help in finding the manual (need brand, model and revision)? Understanding the most important sections of the manual? How to login to your router? Which settings are most important to you (certainly the WAN/Internet is important)? Etc.?

12. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Say if I get a new router and try to do a fresh configuration, how would I do it ? Apart from the hardware aspect how would I install the router from day one.
    And what are the troubleshooting tips for new builds?
    Basically just the normal rundown of router install and configure.

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Whether replacing a working router or reconfiguring a working router after a reset to factory defaults the easiest thing is to record the current settings first, and then use them as a guide. Important for anyone is how to connect to the ISP (n the WAN or Internet section). For ADSL this is typically PPPoE and your account & password. For a wired only router that may be sufficient. Or there may be assigning a particular LAN IP address range, IP reservations, port forwarding, etc. And, of course, wireless network setup if the router is so equipped.

If a modem is replaced its MAC Address may have to be registered with the ISP.

14. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Thank you

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can also save the router's current configuration from the Tools or Admin menu in the router and restore it if you get into trouble.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice