Internet connection difficulty

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ajwatts

I hope this is the appropriate subforum - my apologies if it isn't!

My sister has only recently bought a computer. She isn't terribly keen on it, so has only arranged a 56k dial-up connection - she really will use it only for email.

However... there's a problem. I set up her connection for her, but something odd happens. It gets to the 'Verifying username and password' stage, but then has some nonsense about an 'Incoming Call', with options to Accept or Ignore the call.

If we accept, she is immediately disconnected.

If we ignore, we get an 'unable to establish connection' result.

The operating system is Windows 2000. All settings are correct (number, username, password, etc.). The same problem seems to occur with ANY ISP, even mine, so I am assuming there is a modem setting or OS option that needs to be modified.

Call waiting, etc. has all been disabled and no-one is actually attempting to call the line.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance,
- ajwatts

Are you using the windows 2000 built in dialer or third party software? Is the phone line she using in a single user house or is it shared with others who may interfere? Is she subscribing to any other services on her phone line (I.E. remote voicemail service) that make it so she gets strange dial tones or beeps? Does she have any strange hardware on her phone lines that may cause interferance? Is her PC the only thing connected into the phone line wall jack or are things piggybacked? What make/model of modem do you have installed?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Sounds like a V.92 modem gone berserk. :) Look in the properties of the modem in Device Manager and see if you can disable the v.92 features.

ajwatts

Hi guys. :)

Thanks for the help so far - I haven't been rude and just not replied, I just haven't had access to the laptop to check things out. Cheers again. :p

- ajwatts

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Not to worry, we don't track every problem until we get a response. :) When you get a chance to tinker with it, let us know how you make out.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online