1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection disconnects when streaming (VPN)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by djdashi, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djdashi

djdashi Thread Starter

Hi,

I am having a big problem with my internet connection. I connect to the internet through a VPN connection to my university. However, each time I see a video on youtube (or elsewhere), listen streamed music or even talk using Skype, my internet connection disconnects immediately.

I have had this problem with Windows Vista, and now that I have installed Windows 7 the problem is still the same.

So for every kind of streaming my internet connection (through VPN) almost immediately disconnects.

Any hints about this ?

Thanks

2. Pookie

Pookie

did you contact your university help desk? Its possible they have it set to only allow certain types of traffic to pass. Another thing is dropped packets. If you drop too many packet its possible the vpn will drop and since streaming might be using potentially large amounts of bandwidth...

3. djdashi

djdashi Thread Starter

How can I monitor dropped packets ?

All of my friends that are using the same VPN connection are not having problems when streaming .

I doubt is a problem related to my computer ..

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916340