1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Dropping repeativley

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theatrain, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theatrain

theatrain Thread Starter

To start off I am on windows xp professional, my problem happens regaurdless if I am connected through my router (Linsys Wireless-B) or directly through modem. It doesn't matter.. it still happens.

All lights on my modem(Motorola Surfboard) are solid with 1 blinking orange PC/ACTIVITY Light. The internet works fine for the most part. However every once in a while the connection drops, the 4 lights remain solid, the orange one still blinks, but my pages will not load and if I am in an online game the game will time out. This internet outage usually lasts between 20-45 seconds.

I talked to Comcast customer service they said I most likely needed a new modem.. I went and got one. Got home it was faulty, brought it back got a new one.. went to my car in the parking lot and discovered the entire outer plastic shell covering the inside electronics wasnt even screwed together... I took it back and they gave me a brand new one in the box.. Well needless to say, the original problem is not fixed.

I have tried connecting with different ethernet cords, usb cord instead of ethernet, I tried through router and without the router.. I even swapped the modem 3 times, No fix!

I'd like to know is there anything else it could be before I call comcast to come out here.. Last time they drilled 3 holes in my wall before they realized they were measuring wrong.. so we have 2 extra holes in our wall that do not even do anything and only one of them is an actual cable port. Thank you

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Run this test several times and post the link to each set of results here. It sure sounds like a Comcast issue, but it's hard to be sure. Have you tried a different computer on the connection?

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. Post the results link from the top of the test display page here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

3. theatrain

theatrain Thread Starter

How do I enable Ping with linksys wireless b? I cant figure it out I've looked through the administrator area over and over again.

4. theatrain

theatrain Thread Starter

I figured it out, I'll be performing those tests and submitting results

Could this be a problem with my computer? It just really annoys me.. all of the lights on the modem
    show okay.. and the internet runs at normal speed until the short outage. Its impossible to play my games with this problem.

5. JohnWill

It's hard to say what is going on. Are there any other computers on the network? Do they lose connectivity as well?

6. theatrain

theatrain Thread Starter

7. theatrain

theatrain Thread Starter

8. operator_120

operator_120

I too am having the same issue??. I also use comcast.net. What a bunch of bull ****!!:mad:. What did you find out about it?

9. JohnWill

Well, this is a major issue, it appears you indeed do have line quality issues! I think this is an ISP issue, and I'd do a few line quality tests and have them available for the tech when they come.

Note that you should do these tests connected directly to the broadband modem, don't have a router in the mix when you run them. That will eliminate one excuse they tend to throw up when you present the evidence. If you can, I'd also use two different computers and duplicate the tests, just for further evidence.

When I had Comcast, I had to beat them over the head for weeks on one of these issues before they finally bit the bullet and ran a new cable from the street to my house to resolve it.

Attached Files:

• fail.jpg
      fail.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  10. theatrain

theatrain Thread Starter

is any loss percentage normal?

because if i do 5 tests
    about 3 will show up small loss like 2%-10%

to get a big amount of loss i have to do it about 10 tests or so
    then about one of them will return a big amount of loss..

I just dont wanna call comcast and my tests return like a small amount of loss, then they say well thats normal.. or they dont return any loss % at all.

For some reason with comcast that always happens.. problem is fixed when they're here then it comes back later

11. JohnWill

Truthfully, you should have no losses, and certainly not anything like 10%. The only time I ever recorded any losses on that test was when Verizon was having some network issues and it was fixed in a few hours.

If you're seeing losses consistently, there's no way they'd ever convince me that's "normal", because it's NOT! And if some of the tests return a lot of loss, that's CERTAINLY a cause for real concern. A random loss of 1-2% once in a great while could probably be excused, but that's not what you're describing. Most of the tests should return no lost pings in the first part of the graph. In the second section, if there are losses to specific hops within the network, that's not normally an issue for you, but rather an Internet infrastructure issue.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice