1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection dropping, still displaying connection availability

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by iangelov, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iangelov

iangelov Thread Starter

This one is gonna blow your mind :)

I've had this windows vista home premium for almost an year now, and I'm probably going to remove it bevause I can't use internet properly with it. Here are the great details :)

Regardless wether I use wireless or wired networks, my PC connects and displays that it has no problems with connecting to the internet. However, with the wired networks it would connect to skype and web pages literally whenever it wants to -sometimes the connection would be perfect for hours, sometimes it would be here for 5 minutes and then be gone for 15.. Most of the times it would just not be there. Peculiar fact is that if I had written down the link to a file I would have no problems downloading it with software similar to GetRight, Download Accelerator, Flashget etc. The same with torrents. Another peculiar fact is (and this one not 100% sure, but my personal observations for an year are pretty accurate), starting a download like that would kill the connection abilities of my browser and skype. The annoying icon in the bottom right corner however would never stop telling me that I have no problems connecting to the internet. Sometimes disabling and enabling the Local Area Connection would help (for let's say 2 minutes), other times.. not so much. The access to shared files on the networks was always full. If you're curious, that's the only reason I still haven't removed the Vista - if I needed Internet I could use those of my roommates, and the file sharing basically solved all my other needs.
    It's summer, I went work and travelling in the US (hurray), now I'm using wireless (linksys). However, the wireless connection has it's own mind and will as well. After I connected successfully the first time and used internet for about an hour, it was gone. Again. I had no problems re-downloading setups of programs whose links i had memorised in GetRight, but my browser and skype would not connect again. I restarted the laptop and had 2 minutes of connection, when the Internet was down again. Tried to and successfully re-downloaded a torrent file with a download speed of 1mb/s. Restarted again, had internet for another two minutes. It's been like that ever since :) I have no problems pinging yahoo with an average round trip of 28ms, my netBIOS local name table has everything registered, but the only way I can use Internet is to reboot every 3 minutes. If someone out there has any idea what is going on, I'd be more than grateful. I've decided to set up a date to throw patience away and install XP even if I have paid for Vista on the first of June. Just to make sure the child in me doesn't die. Thanks in advance to everyone who is even going to try to help :)

P.S. Sorry for the unrelated information and the repeated use of the word "again", but this is really getting to me. Thanks again to everyone that tries :)

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I see NO place where getright is Vista Ready at the following http://getright.com/index.html
    That just may be your problem along with the likes of torrents and skype. These have been known NOT to be always Vista ready.

3. iangelov

iangelov Thread Starter

they DO work in vista, it's not officially announced because i guess bugs and such need to be fixed. However, you're missing the whole point of the post. Skype and Internet explorer/Mozilla firefox work for two minutes after windows has been started when they suddenly stop as if I am disconnected. However, I still can ping yahoo and download files if I have the links to those files, and I do it with a download rate that is more than OK. I can also use the resources in the LAN. Ideas? And don't tell me IE 7.0 is not Vista ready, please :)

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You have NOT told us much about your machine, what ISP you are using?
    It helps not to play 20 questions!

5. unbidden

unbidden

I'd remove skype and getright just to eliminate those as usual suspects. If the problem still persists, we take it from there.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!