1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Dropping

Discussion in 'Networking' started by marbear, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marbear

marbear Thread Starter

I have a home network setup. Two computers "hardwired" to Netgear WGT624v2 router, also up to two laptops accessing the internet wirelessly through router and a Wii. Not everything is connected at the same time (usually). We have Charter Internet and use a ZOOM USB/Ethernet Cable Modem, which is fairly new and replaced a Charter provided modem.

Now we are up to loosing connection several times a day and random times. We have had Charter out three times thinking it was the cable internet. Generally, unplugging modem (both from the electricity and cable) and router, then starting them up again modem first will most times fix the problem. So then i started wondering if it was the router because Charter could not find any issues so the last several I just unplugged the router for several minutes and when it starts back up, we have interest again.

We have lost connection when just one of the laptops is on, or just the Wii or even when the two desktops, which are hardwired to the router, are the only things on. I have made sure we have the latest firmware for the router, drivers for the computers and Wii.

There was a time when we had just the two desktop computers networked together and we never had connectivity issue, but the problems did start before we added the Wii and laptops.

Please let me know what other information you need from me. Hopefully someone here will be able to help because so far Charter and Netgear had been unable to fix. If I have to buy a new router, I am prepared to do that, but i want to make that is the problem first. I thought the problem was Charter's modem, so i purchased my own and it didn't fix the problem.

Mary

Oh, all computers have windows xp service pack 2

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Why? Nothing earlier than XP SP3 has been supported for months.

Have you run with a computer connected directly to the modem to determine if the problem is the router for sure?

3. marbear

marbear Thread Starter

sorry, we do have sp3 on all the computers. We have connected one computer to modem directly and did not have the issues.

This router is a G series and several years old. Just wondering if it would be better to invest in a new one.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router; then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

The reset to factory defaults sometimes gets a router operating correctly. If you continue to have the disconnects it's almost definitely time to replace the router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice