1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Drops Completely Only On PC

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DecisivePanic, Jun 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. DecisivePanic

DecisivePanic Thread Starter

Background:
    I've been having internet problems now for about a month I'd guess, and I just recently discovered that it only occurs on my PC and no other devices when connected to wifi.

My ISP has been over twice and replaced and re-fitted everything from the wall to and including the modem (Which my PC is plugged directly into). My ISP says they cannot detect any problems on their end, which makes sense given that the problem is localized to my PC.

I have updated my network drivers on my PC directly from the company's website to no avail.

I pinged the default gateway on both my PC (Ethernet) and my phone (WiFi) and discovered that the drop only occurs on the PC.

The Problem:
    When I play games online, watch streams, or stream myself, sometimes my internet connection will completely drop for a few seconds globally on my PC. Discord, Steam, OBS, the whole computer loses connection at the same time. This does not occur on any other devices connnected to wifi (At least not at the same time), as I have done tests on both my PC and my phone and the phone maintained the connection while the PC dropped. Due to this, I strongly suspect that the problem lies on my PC, but I'm not sure what else to try.

Please help I'm so tired of this problem I just want this to go away.

2. DecisivePanic

Here's what it looks like when it drops, funnily enough my times are much better now then when I got this screenshot as they are almost all 1ms or less.

Attached Files:

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since we are talking about Ethernet, change the Ethernet cable, they are often the problem. Did the ISP rewire the cable inside the wall ? Did he do a cable test of the whole setup?

Start Task Manager at different times running different things and see if there are background programs that you installed using a lot of CPU. On the Processes tab, click on the CPU column header to sort the highest user of cpu to the top. CPU hogs will affect the network connection.

4. DecisivePanic

They tested everything and said everything was fine. I just replaced the ethernet and it still happens. I'm totally lost and kinda feeling hopeless at this point.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

Change to a different ethernet port on the modem and see, sometimes it could be a bad port.

6. DecisivePanic

It's a completely new modem, and before they replaced it I tried that.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager, find all the network drivers, right click each and choose Update. Ethernet drivers seldom gets updated, but they may get corrupted.

Start Task Manager at different times running different things and see if there are background programs that you installed using a lot of CPU. On the Processes tab, click on the CPU column header to sort the highest user of cpu to the top. CPU hogs will affect the network connection. Yes this will take time to do, but we are debugging.

8. DecisivePanic

I'm only at 30% CPU usage and that's when I'm streaming. I already updated the network drivers as well as you described.

9. lunarlander

lunarlander

Start all the programs that you normally have running at the same time and re-test Task Manager.

10. DecisivePanic

40% CPU Usage

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Is this network outage predictable as in it always happen when you stream or when you game? Or does it happen only, say, once a week?

12. DecisivePanic

It happens multiple times a day (On average once an hour, maybe more or less sometimes) no matter what I'm doing, it seems like it happens more quickly the more I use the internet, but I've seen it happen over all kinds of network usage amounts.

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

Well, we have updated the ethernet driver. So wait till the next day and see if it still happens.

14. DecisivePanic

I had already updated them before and it still happens.

15. lunarlander

lunarlander

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1228318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice