1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection drops off

Discussion in 'Networking' started by srr37, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srr37

srr37 Thread Starter

Hi Folks,
    Got such a quick and positive result on one issue thought I'd try another!!
    First of all this is an area I know little about so be gentle and patient!!

I have a 2.0 MHz processor 512 ram lots of drive space.

I am using a router and accessing the net through Galaxy / Drirecway satellite 2 way connection. I have a full Norton security package; firewall, spam, anti virus and such.

When I access a download I start at a respectable 200+ kps but within seconds it drops steadily down to 70/80 kps.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normal operation. The estimate for the download is based on a sliding scale, and it normally starts out with an optimistic number. As the download proceeds, there's enough data to come up with a realistic number.

Have you ever done the speed test at www.dslreports.com? What speeds do you come up with?

3. O111111O

O111111O

Latency kills throughput.

Do this.

ping -f -l 1472 www.google.com. See what your latency is.

I'm guessing it's somewhere around the 80-200ms range?

------------

Get that info and we can calculate an optimal TCP window size for you. Microsoft typifies the lowest common denominator for users. This means most normal mid/low latency users achieve decent performance. While your "pipe size" may be high, the latency in combination of small TCP window means that the sending host will only send so many frames on the wire before it awaits acknowledgement.

If you want to do it the "lazy" way, you can download a tool to help you with the calculations and registry settings. http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    Download TCP Optimizer. Use sliding scale to select your bandwidth, and have it calculate "optimal" settings. It'll get fairly close.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/421715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice