1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection drops!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by techshan, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techshan

techshan Thread Starter

Hi

In our MD's house, we have fibre optic connection given by the ISP upto Distribution box inside the house where the fibre optic cable is connected to HUAWEI-ECHOLFIE HG865 terminal .From the RJ 45 port in that device , the ethernet cable goes to the DLINK 8 port switch. All the 8 ports are connected with ethernet cables to 8 rooms going concealed through the wall.

Our ISP person tested the connection by connecting one patch cable (from the DLINK SWITCH via the wall socket)to the WAN port of LINKSYS WRT300N wireless router and connecting other ethernet cable from the lan port of the router to the laptop ,setup the username ,password, encapsulation pppoe and configured the internet .found working.

I tried to configure the wireless in the house by fixing LINKSYS access point in some rooms.Here the problem started.

I cannot fix the LINKSYS router inside the DB in front portion of the house since there is no space in that and cannot keep the linksys router outside also,
    So I kept the linksys router inside one room and connected its lan port to the wall socket inside the room and connected its WAN PORT to one of its lan port because I want to share the internet in all the rooms.

I checked the internet in all the rooms by taking one laptop to all the rooms and checked through the access point configured in each room.

After few minutes internet drops and the led's in the LINSKYS router starts continuously blinks as if there is some problem

What is the problem and how can I rectify it?

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm really surprised that something works for a few minutes if that's what you really did! I assume that you didn't mean to write that.

Are you contracted for eight public IP addresses and connecting a wireless router to each of those?

3. techshan

techshan Thread Starter

Hi

I have found the problem.

Whenever the lan connection from the dlink switch in the db is connected to the WAN PORT of linksys router, internet is continuously working in the laptop which is connected to the lan port of the linksys router.

Problem starts when the lan cable from db switch is given directly to lan port of linksys and then connecting one of the lan port of the linksys router to its WAN PORT causes this problem.I suspect some kind of looping or broadcast problem.

Any suggestions?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The obvious: don't connect a router to itself.

5. techshan

techshan Thread Starter

Hi

Got the concept from your explanation

Thanks & Regards

S.Swaminathan

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome, but I haven't done anything but ask a question or two. Do you have everything working the way you want it now?

7. techshan

techshan Thread Starter

Hi

If I understood correctly the concept , the fault which I did is WAN port of linksys router - which is a separate broadcast domain and switch back plane of linsksys router - a separate broadcast domain are converged into a single broadcast domain.............Isn't it?

And moreover actually the same configuration which I mentioned previously has been done already by keeping the LINKSYS router outside the DB and connecting the HUAWEI to linksys WAN and connecting the linksys lan to the dlink switch on a temporary basis because LINKSYS router cannot be kept outside that is the constraint should be followed.

Now the setup is working with the scenario explained above

8. techshan

techshan Thread Starter

Hi Terry

Can you please explain why the internet connection drops in the setup which I posted before?
    in technical networking concepts!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't explain exactly why connecting the router's WAN to its LAN while its LAN is also connected to another Dhcp server works briefly because my mind starts spinning as soon as I think of it. All I get is an image of a dog that chased and caught its tail and now has its tail stuck in its mouth and can do nothing but continue running in circles. :D

It's random whether the WAN will get its IP configuration from the Linksys's Dhcp server or the other server on the network. Same is true for any other device connecting to the router. By default the Linksys Dhcp server passes on to its clients the DNS servers that its WAN has obtained. This is the point when my mind just shuts down and spins out of control.

10. techshan

techshan Thread Starter

Hi Terry

Thanks for your reply!

If I understood correctly the concept , the fault which I did is WAN port of linksys router - which is a separate broadcast domain and switch back plane of linsksys router - a separate broadcast domain are converged into a single broadcast domain.............Isn't it?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1041224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice