1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection drops

Discussion in 'Networking' started by festa_freak, May 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. festa_freak

festa_freak Thread Starter

Hello guys. I have come to this forum a couple of times to get out of tough situations. Great site!!!

I have tried to find a thread that is close to the problem i have but could not find one.

My internet connection drops for no reason (of course there is a reason but ya know..) i will be using it and it drops.

Now i will give you some background on my setup. I have a SMC 7004VBR router with two computers hooked up to it. Now when the internet is 'down' i can still surf on the other computer, but not on mine. I've been away from home so i forget if I was able to log into the router setup screen or not. I beilive i couldn't.

When i reset the router, (by pulling the plug, not pushing in the little button thingy) my connection comes back on after the router is done 'booting up'.

Just wonering if there was a way to stop this from occuring?

Thanks for reading and helping!!

2. The_PC_Gamer

The_PC_Gamer

which of the computers hooked up to the internet directly? Or is the connection split right away?

If the connection hooked up to one computer then routed to the 2nd, and the 2nd loses internet sometimes, its possible that the router keeps kicking off the second computer or it just keeps disconnecting from the network.

3. loudman

loudman

I have a similar problem with my SMC router (not sure of the exact model). Sometimes (usually after using torrent client, but not always) the router just seems to lock up. All the lights on both router and modem are doing what they should do, but i can't access the router config, internet or network resources on any of the connected computers. I have to powercycle the router to solve the problem.
    Not a major problem, but it is a bit of an inconvenience :mad:

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I solved my router disconnection problem by replacing it with another router. The Linksys and Netgear models are the easiest to set up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. festa_freak

The connection comes from the modem and goes directly to the WAN port of the router, and then from there splits.

My compy was on all day and i didn't need to reset the router. It must be my computer. The other one can get on the internet when mine is off.

I'd prefer not to buy a new router, but if I do it would be wireless. Wireless have ports for ethernet as well right?? i know noob question. Just making super sure!!

Thanks!!

6. festa_freak

I have my computer set up with a static IP of 192.168.2.100 and the other with 192.168.2.101.

It happened again today, but this time (from the other computer) i accesed the router settings and checked them out. I didnt do much at all, if anything. i just clicked connect and i got a message saying i was already connected....

then when i went back to my computer the internet worked.

Is this a router setting or just crappy router? What should the lease time for the IP's be. I mean if they are static then i shouldnt need it. it is set to 1 week, should i set it to forever?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have configured a static IP address for a machine, the lease time doesn't enter into the picture. If you have DHCP running on the router, make sure your static IP address is outside the range of the DHCP server address pool on the router.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice