1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection frequently drops out.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Dizzi2004, Jun 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dizzi2004

Dizzi2004 Thread Starter

So we've been having an internet issue for months. Sometimes, it doesn't happen for days, sometimes it happens many times in a day. The connection just cuts out. Briefly...say for 15 seconds. We play league, and it sucks. The router looks like it restarts. We've had 3 routers and the same thing happens on all three. We had the internet guy change out the drop line, we even had a guy come out to change out the coaxile line through the house. Hasn't helped.

2. DataBase

DataBase

Sounds like an issue with your provider to be honest, we had a similar issue a few years back, constant drop out for about 15 - 30 seconds, could happen anytime of the day. I spent weeks changing all cabling, routers, switches etc as the ISP wouldn't accept it was a fault on their side. it turned out to be something called HOT VP (hot virtual path). This is where you exchange is over subscribed by users and thus falls over as it cannot handle the throughput. I would speak to your ISP and see if there are any known issues at your exchange. Who are your ISP?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you really meant "restarts" that sounds like an electrical problem. If using a power strip or surge protector try plugging directly into a wall outlet. Make sure the circuit being used doesn't occasionally suffer a power drain (such as a refrigerator starting).

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I assume 'router' you mean the modem/router that is provided by the ISP? I agree that it sounds more like an electrical issue, but when it 'restarts', what lights are on?

5. DataBase

DataBase

Dont get me wrong folks it does sound like it could be related to an electrical fault, however when i had the issue i described above, my router would also 'restart' but this was not an electrical issue it was more the fact that the router had lost connection to the exchange and was attempting to reconnect. The symptoms described by the op are very similar to what i was experiencing. Wouldnt hurt for him to check his electrics though.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The only thing I can think of past the electrical issue is the SnR is dropping too low. What modem do you have?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1172272

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice