Internet Connection Getting Worse

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Ok:Can we again see an ipconfig /all and the Xirrus output that Terry requested

Slannman

How do I do that? On the advanced tab of configuring my adapter it is already set to Channel Value 1.

TerryNet

Terry
Login to the router, navigate to the wireless section, and look for the channel selection.

Slannman

Ok I have changed the channel to channel 1 and it is showing up on Xirrus as channel 1. However I still can't seem to connect. A Wireless Network Connection window comes up and tries to connect and then after a while it simply closes and nothing happens.

TerryNet

Terry
Disable ICS (I just noticed that you are using it), and then please show us a current ipconfig /all and Xirrus output.

Slannman

Is it worth me taking my PC into a repair place? Or is this something that I should be able to do withot any technical training?

TerryNet

Terry
Looks like a moving target. In your first Xirrus screen shot there were no networks on channel 1 and now all but one is! This might be a time where 'auto channel' selection may work if your router has that feature. Otherwise, you'll have to look at Xirrus and choose the most appropriate channel. By the way, which of those networks is yours?

Slannman

The one named virginmedia4358274. I was originally on auto-channel I think and switched it to 1. I'm not sure what defines the most appropriate channel you see.

TerryNet

Terry
The attached shows how the Wi-Fi channels (1-11) overlap. As you can see the closer the channel numbers the more overlap. Channels that differ by 5 (e.g., 1, 6 and 11) do not interfere. Weak channels will give little or no interference.

Attachments

Slannman

I've tried alternating the channels from 1 to 6 and I get no difference I'm afraid. Still just cancels after about a minute or so of trying to connect. Sorry to be a pain.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts