1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection hangs

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by BML, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BML

BML Thread Starter

hi..this is my 1st post on here. I'm glad this resource exists because Tech Support from the company sucks big time.

I have win98s.e. on a 533mhz Celeron/128mb RAM HP machine. I use primarily a cable modem connection but also have a dial-up. At intertmittent times my connection will quit. I can be online, and all of a sudden when I go to a site it says "unavailable" or "server not found. No matter what web site I go to. if I try to open my Outlook for email, it will not connect to any servers. And the only way i can get out of this is to re-boot.

Now here's the funny part. if i am on ICQ when this happens, I do not lose the connection! All other connections are DEAD and ICQ is still "online" status and my messages go thru!!! isn't that wierd? And the little ad banner at the bottom of the ICQ message screen says "failed to load"...but as far as messages go, I'm still "online" and active!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My cable company checked the modem and its ok. They also went thru my settings and its ok. They seem to think its my 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adaptor that is built in to my HP Pavilion computer. Do you think that's what it is? what else can it be?

Oh, I should also mention that when my connection go down and I try my dialup connection it will not work. The dial up is going thru the modem not the ethernet card.

Can anyone help me solve this??

2. Trish-AA

Trish-AA

Wow!:eek: Haven't run into this one before, but (just a guess) there could be some sort of conflict between the two modems. I would try removing one or the other for a bit to see if it makes a difference.

3. $teve

$teve

hi bml..welcome to TSG..........how long has this been happening? is it a recent problem or has it been like this all the time?
    when the cable company says they checked it and its ok,take that with a pinch of salt a lot of these guys only know what they read in books,there are ways to "set up" your connection a lot better than stock.......post back a few details,give us something more to go on and we will see what we can do.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Have your ISP/cable provider check your proxy settings.
    That will prevent you from browsing as well. I've had that problem myself and it was the proxy. After several attempts to resolve the problem , I now have it disabled .

Savvy :)

PS not sure at all if it will make a difference as long as the proxy is enabled but you Also could try your dialup connection & see if this still happens.

5. BML

BML Thread Starter

ok...the cable company gave me a "computer name" and told me to enter "@HOME" as the "workgroup" (@home is comcast's service name).

Then, under network settings, I have "obtain IP address" and "obtain DNS address" both set to "automatically", DHCP enabled, WINS resolution "disabled", DNS resolution "disabled"..and using the TCP/IP protocall.

Does anyone else use Comcast's service?

Their tech support I would rate as the worst I have ever seen. I had trouble configuring it when I got it back in June and had to call 3 times, talking to 3 different people, getting 3 different answers. wow. what a waste. they must be hiring $7/hour untrained people & have a high turn over....kinda like the Airport Screeners ..... oops, that's for a different forum! :p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice