1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet connection help

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aladc2001, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aladc2001

aladc2001 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 510 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 51624 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, D865GLC
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Recently I fell vicitim to the virus AV Security 2012. After many hours I feel that I have removed the virus. However, the virus disrupted my internet connection. Even now after I have removed the rouge program I still am unable to connect to the internet. Using internet explorer I ran a network diagnostic and received the following log:

Last diagnostic run time: 11/11/11 07:39:33 WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    error Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10050.
    error Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10050.
    error Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10091.
    error Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error 10091.
    error A connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.
    action Automated repair: Reset WinSock catalog
    action Successfully executed: netsh winsock reset catalog
    info System restart required

Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
    info Ethernet connection selected
    Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
    warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

Also if I simply click repair on the network adapter I receive the following error message:
    Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
    Renewing your IP address

How do I fix this?

2. KoolaidJunkie

KoolaidJunkie

Open Control Panel and click Add/Remove Programs. Look on the left and You should see Add/Remove Windows Components.

Reinstall TCP/IP by Unchecking it, then Apply. Open Windows Components again and Recheck, then Apply.

You may need your WindowsXp discs. Not sure, been a while since I've done anything in XP.

If that corrects the problem, your next step should be investing in a better Anti-virus. Free is not always a good thing.

3. aladc2001

aladc2001 Thread Starter

There wasn't a TCP/IP to check or uncheck in the main options. By going to Contorl panel>Add/Remove>Add/Remove components>network services>details> I did find a "Simple TCP/IP services". This was unchecked already so I checked it and unchecked it a few more times. Unfotantly, it did require the windows XP cd complete the process. I have a gateway and it came with three CD's: A blue operating system CD, a burgundy driver CD, and a yellow applications CD. I have reformatted my computer before and use these three cds to perform the reformat. I assume that the XP CD would be the blue one but nothing happens when I put it in. My CD drive is D: and the program does not read anything from the D: drive. I also tried the burgundy CD which also did not work.

Was the TCP/IP button you described the one I found?
    Is it the virus that is keeping me from completing the process or am I missing the right CD?
    Are there any other ideas/fixes?

Also down at the bottom of the task bar where it shows running programs there is an icon for the LAN that shows two computers with a cable connecting the two and a little dot that is moving back and forth on the cable. When I hover over that icon it tells me that the status is renewing IP address. It has been like that from the beginning of the virus.

Thanks for your time

4. KoolaidJunkie

KoolaidJunkie

5. aladc2001

aladc2001 Thread Starter

I was able to complete the first set of instructions. However, upon reboot I found that nothing had changed. I still have the same problem. When I tried to run the sfc scan I was asked for my windows CD again. I used the disc that says operating system but I received a prompt that said I had inserted the wrong disc.

I think I am going to do a reformat. I really don't want to but at this point I feel its the only option.

Thanks for all the help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice