Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet connection is fine, web browsers aren't working

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kedison 
#1 ·
I am having issues with my web browser that I hope someone can help me with. When I open IE or Firefox, it takes an EXTREMELY long time to open a webpage (about an hour).

When I open a web browser in IE, it hangs at "connecting" for about 20-25 minutes. It then moves to "waiting for http://(whateverwebsite)" for another 20-25 minutes. Then it displays the website, but hangs for another 15-20 minutes. When I open a webpage in Firefox, nothing happens at all.

I know there is nothing wrong with my Internet connection because I can still download updates at a normal speed and I have a couple of online games I can still play normally. I can also still access the Internet fine on other computers (hence this posting). The only issue is with the web browser is on my laptop.

My web browsers were working fine last night and the only change I have made was downloading McAfee. I contacted McAfee and of course they said this is not caused by their software. I conducted a virus scan with McAfee and PCTools and everything is normal.

One thing I just noticed is if I open a web browser and disconnect the Internet connection, the web browser will still go through the steps I listed in the second paragraph and display the webpage an hour later. So the webpage is still being downloaded at a normal speed, it just takes forever to be displayed.

I have already tried restarting both my computer and modem. I have also conducted the following that was posted by JohnWill:
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.
Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
Reboot the machine.

If anyone knows what to do I would appreciate the help.

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.