1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection issue ..

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Novice01, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Novice01

Novice01 Thread Starter

Hi guys.

Thanks for accepting me on here.

Basically I have an Acer laptop and have tried to use it several times over the past few weeks but it doesn’t seem to be connecting to my WiFi?

When I click on the “ set up new connection “ option ( or whatever it’s called) it just doesn’t do anything, however occasionally it will show an error code of “ 0x8007045A“

Is anyone able to help at all ?

Regards

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Novice01, and welcome to TSG.

Please read through this old thread by another member that was getting the same error message and the solution that worked for them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wont-connect-to-wifi-error-code-0x8007045a.1157912/

If it doesn't work for you, please let us know ...

1) Full model number of your laptop

2) What version of Windows you are running?

3) Are other devices able to connect to your WiFi access point?

4) Is your laptop able to connect to other WiFi access points, such as at a coffee shop or library?

I will ask a moderator to review and possibly move this to our networking forum.

3. Novice01

Novice01 Thread Starter

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.
    I have tried the command prompt procedure but still no joy.
    Laptop is an Acer KAV60, everything else seems to be working fine, it’s just will
    Not pick up any internet connections either WiFi or even an Ethernet.

I have iPads, iPods, etc and all are running fine from the router I’m trying to connect to, also I have tried to connect it publicly ( cafe etc ) still nothing.

Regards

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    That is a fairly old model notebook computer and is listed as being sold with MS-Windows XP Home. Are you still runing Windows XP on it?

Does the Windows Hardware Device Manager show the wired and wireless networking hardware? If so, are there any red or yellow warning icons for either the Wireless of Wired network hardware?

I am not sure if this applies to your particular notebook computer, but on some notebook computers the networking hardware is disabled in the BIOS in order to extend battery life. You should check the BIOS settings to see if the networking hardware is listed and enabled.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    So far I have not been able to find a manual. I did find this
    Is the light showing that wifi is turned on? If not, can it be turned on?

If that doesn't work, you have two choices: replace the internal wireless card or use a wifi dongle through a USB port.

One caution: if you are still using XP, the current dongles might not have a driver for XP since support stopped in 2014.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice