1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Problem: How can I tell if my wireless router is the culprit?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Alleluia, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alleluia

Alleluia Thread Starter

I keep losing my internet connection like every 5-10 minutes, usually being disconnected for only a few seconds. I lose my connection while surfing, in IM and playing games online, which is really frustrating. I think my router is the problem but I'm not sure. I have a Belkin G Plus MIMO Wireless Router and to check it, today I unplugged my router and plugged in my LAN cable directly into my laptop. I didn't lose my connection the entire hour plus I was online while my laptop was plugged directly to my LAN. So, it's not a problem with my ISP. and I need a wireless router for my 2 desktops and laptop. What should I do, get rid of my router and buy a better one or is there a way I can configure my router to fix my bad connection?

2. centauricw

centauricw

I would make sure that you have the latest firmware loaded on the router. There may be a menu in the administration web pages (I'm not familiar with Belkin) that will download the latest firmware. Otherwise, check the support page for your router at Belkin's web site.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    And after updating the firmware or confirming that you already have the latest, reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

If the problems continue login to the router and turn the wireless off (set the wireless mode to 'off' or 'disabled') to test whether the router needs to be replaced or whether we need to explore possible wireless interference issues.

4. Alleluia

Alleluia Thread Starter

I checked and I have to latest firmware. So, I reset my router to its factory default settings and then reconfigured it. Everything seems to be fine now. I mean, still lose my connection like after a hour or two being online but it is much better than loosing my connection every 5 minutes. I'm on a laptop so guess I cannot expect too much.

Thanks for the help :)

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You can expect more. :) It's not always easy or quick to discover what is causing the disconnects so you may want to just wait until when and if it gets worse. Glad we got some improvement.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971533

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice