1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection problem. Not the usual.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by redcivic, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

Okay, so one of our offices shares a single cable internet connection through a linksys befsr41 router. The problem is that when they try to log on to secure sites the connection times out. Some simple sites pop right up but other load really slow and the eventually the "this page cannot be displayed" message pops up. When on the phone with tech support at time warner they can see connection fail when that happens but they can still reach the modem so they say verything is fine. I have been through everything with time warner and they even replaced the cable modem (after much bitching to my saleman) and the problem still exists. I even hooked up each computer (there are only three) directly to the modem and the problem stills exists. Time warner checked the connection and everything looks good. So, I checked for viruses and there were none found, and the dat files were up to date. I ran spy bot and adaware and while many things were found, nothing out of the usual (gain, gator, etc.). I also disconnected my wireless access point thinking it was some how disrupting things but it made no difference. Well, right when I was about to throw the computers through the wall, I noticed a second network connection on two of the computers. The connection is called internet connection gateway. So, I shut each computer down and went though them one at a time to try and delete this connection thinking it's somehow screwing the lan connection up. Well, it let's me disable the connection but not delete it. Even though it's disabled the connection is still screwed. On the XP machine it shows up in network connections. On the ME machine it shows up as a little icon in the sys tray, and on the 98 machine it does not show up at all. Does anyone know what this connection is? On the ME machine I looked in msconfig and there is something called z client that disables the tray icon but the connection is still screwed. I don't see anything in add/remove programs either. A worm of some sort that's undetectable and unremovable by AVG, Adaware, and spybot? Am I missing something simple? My brain was mush after four hours of messing with it. All three computers are up to date via microsoft and the firmware is up to date on the linksys router. So, finally, I went out and bought a new Linksys BEFSR41 thinking somehow it was malfunctioning. Well, the same thing was still happening even after the new router was set-up. So, is there something I'm missing?

2. dtugg

dtugg

Are these machines running 128 bit encryption? To find out: From IE, click help, then about IE. It will tell you the cipher strenght. It must be 128 for most https:// connections. I'm wondering because you're using some older OS's.

dtugg

3. redcivic

redcivic Thread Starter

Okay, several days later and four visits from my ISP lead to a physical connection problem between the pole and our office. They refused to entertain the idea that it was a hardware problem outside of the modem because the test equipment they were using said their hardware was fine. But after two hours on the phone with a level 3 tech we determind through tracert's and pings to our dns server, etc that it was a routing problem. some sites we could not ping at all and then we were getting a **** load of packet loss to other certain sites. They replaced all the cable connections to our building and some piece of hardware on the pole. It works like a charm now. Thanks for the help. Hopefully this post will help someone else with a problem like this so they don't fdisk and rebuild two systems thinking it's a hidden virus or something. I was completely dumbfounded after they came out the fourth time, I could not think of anything on outside that waould cause this. Turns out i was right all along but they kept telling me everything was fine so i just kept digging for a problem on our end. It was like pulling teeth to get them to send a real technician on site instead of a cable guy. i filed a formal complaint and am asking for 3 months of free service. The tech on the phone was great and new his ****, the problem was that the field techs did'nt have the phone techs notes to see that it was not a problem with our system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice