1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection problem with base station connected

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alnorg, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alnorg

alnorg Thread Starter

When my DSL modem is connected directly to my computer I can connect to the internet. When my Microsoft MN500 wireless base station is connected between the modem and the computer I get error 678: The remote computer did not respond. I have had this problem previously but can't remember how to fix it. Can anyone help???
    My OS is Windows XP.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, I'd start by resetting the MN-500 to factory defaults:
    If you don't have the manuals for the box, here's the download page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902461

Obviously, after resetting it to factory defaults, you'll have to do any configuration of the wireless that you need, like setting up encryption, etc.

3. alnorg

alnorg Thread Starter

I did the reset but nothing changed. I still get error 678:The remote computer did not respond when I try to connect.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Did you power cycle the modem after you disconnected the computer? You need to do that before changing the device connected to it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/465604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice