1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sunn279, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sunn279

sunn279 Thread Starter

Hi there,

My internet connection works ok with windows xp but every time i boot with vista and try to connect it fails. Diagnose says "Cannot communicate with Primary DNS Server"

My connection’s adapter is manually configured and have a VPN connection to access the internet.

Disabled firewall and others which might interfere with connection. Also disabled all unnecessary items in the "Local Area Connection Properties".

then tried

“netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled”

did not work

Funny thing is my NOD32 antivirus is able to update perfectly but nothing else works!!!

Any suggestions?

Please help

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Are you running XP or Vista? This is the Vista forum.

3. sunn279

sunn279 Thread Starter

Dual OS.

As i said internet connection in XP works fine but not in vista. Please read my previous post. thanks

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
  5. Peter Komar

Peter Komar

Try going in to Admin Services and turning off " IP Helper ". I was having connection problems and after disabling this feature, they stopped.

6. sunn279

sunn279 Thread Starter

thanks for all your replies

tired everything suggested or i could think of but to little use.

still the connection works perfectly in XP but fails in vista

please help

Attached Files:

7. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    If you are using a Beta prior to RC2, then MS screwed up on net adapter drivers. Should this be the case, if you go into the device manage and click the adapter and (via a right click) update thdrivers, then slect the option to browse your computer for drivers. Point at the XP windows directory, make sure you select the box which says "include sub directories, and let Vista do the rest. IT might be a good ide to first remove the old driver, but I did not find, in my case, this was needed. On a reboot you would then find all is working perfectly. Why it allows some programs to connect, I have no idea, but I had the same experience. The problem was resolved on RC2 and the RTM. If you are using either of these, then totally ignore the above!!

8. sunn279

sunn279 Thread Starter

Using the most recent release.
    Thanks for your reply.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice