Internet connection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

arman

IE explorer will not access the internet (Win 98) through my cable modem until I access the server by some other means first (ie pinging, bearshare, etc). As soon as I ping or close bearshare, explorer finds my homepage and downloads. I also lose access frequently in all programs, I'll have 40 sec. of access, 40 seconds without (can't reach my gateway even by pinging), then it repeats.
I've re-installed TCP/IP, my adapter, same problem (well a new problem actually with rundll32-newdotnt, but I edited my registry and solved that!). My modem/ISP works fine when I use my notebook.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Arman

Sounds like they didn't set up your cable modem properly. I would call your ISP and ask why the connection is being dropped so often? Are you paying for an always on connection or a dial-on-demand type of setup?

arman

Has been working fine up until this point (been messing around a ot with ICS and a home network). If I hook up my laptop to the modem it works fine, it's a config problem on my end on my PC, probably within TCP, but re-installing TCP doesn't sem to help.
Arman

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online