1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection problems.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by andy1965, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andy1965

andy1965 Thread Starter

I have posted a question in the Malware Removal section on here http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1023053-malware-not.html and though the Malware is now removed the Internet connection problem is still not solved, so it was suggested that I post a thread on here where hopefully someone can help me.

It began when I started experiencing problems with very slow internet download speeds which sometimes froze completely, I first noticed that my broadband slowed to a crawl after a few minutes of use and sometimes lost connectivity completely, re-booting the PC seemed to speed things up to begin with but it soon slowed down again and since then the problem of slowing down and sometimes freezing completely seems to have got worse. Sometimes, as now, everything is fine but at other times the internet freezes completely for hours on end and the fact that it is an intermittent fault is very infuriating.

I am currently connected to the internet directly via the BT Engineers socket (which gives me a better connection broadband speed than connection to the external port) through a Speed Touch modem and a long shielded cable and I initially tested my broadband speed using instructions issued by my ISP and the results didn't seem too bad compared to what speeds I should be getting. See below:

A typical line speed according to BT of up to 2Mpbs
    An actual download speed of 1843Kbps compared to an acceptable range of 100 - 2000Kbps.
    A DSL Connection Rtae of 2432Kbps (Downstream) and 448Kbps (Upstream)
    And the IP Profile of my line is 2000Kbps

(I hope that makes sense)

My PC is an Aries Perfecta Dual? Supplied by the now defunct Savastore.com (A division of Watford Electronics Ltd) and the specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium D 805Skt 775 2x1MB 2.66GHz 533MHz CPU
    Aries 512Mb PC3200 184pin DDR 400 DIMM Memory
    Maxtor DiamondMax200GB 8mb Cache 7200RPM SATA HDD
    360W ATX v1.2 Power Supply
    128MB Ati Radeon X300 SMA PCI Express Graphics
    Fast 100Mbit Ethernet LAN (Broadband ready)

(Hope that makes sense!)

And the operating system is Windows XP."

Sorry if I have missed anything out but all the details are included in the thread in the Malware removal section.

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Andy.

2. andy1965

andy1965 Thread Starter

Just a bit more information which might help.

I have noticed over the last 3 days that the internet works fine during the day but slows down and then stops completely in the early evening and for the rest of the night. Last night it worked again around 20:00 for 22 to 30 minutes but that was it.

Could that signify a problem with the BT line when usage increases in the evenings?

3. andy1965

andy1965 Thread Starter

I spoke to soon! :eek:

It slows down in the evenings and at weekends (the internet just froze completely for the last 30 minutes or so :mad:)

4. andy1965

andy1965 Thread Starter

After another couple of days I can confirm a definite pattern of working fine (most of the time) during the day but slowing down and stopping from around 18:00.

5. andy1965

andy1965 Thread Starter

This internet problem is driving me mad now and I’m desperate for some help.

My latest observations from last night are as follows, sorry if some of them are irrelevant but they might just help to build up a picture:

To start with each time I switch on my PC different icons display in the bottom right hand corner of the screen e.g. The Microsoft Security Essentials icon is sometimes there but not at other times.

As before, the internet works fine until somewhere between 17:00 and 18:00 but then the problems begin.

Establishing the “Speed Touch” connection through the modem and shielded cable isn’t usually a problem, though it can sometimes be a bit slow or can take 2 attempts.

95% of the time I have no problem getting on to Google either using both Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox but when I search or type in a website address, each progressive step is slower than the one before i.e. The search results are a bit slow before eventually they display, but when I try to connect to a website everything freezes completely.

If I try to go directly to a website via one of my shortcuts it is slow from the start.

Occasionally if a window is frozen I can open a second window to the same website and get further than I have done in the first one e.g. Last night after about an hour I had got as far as entering my log on to here before everything stopped completely, I then opened a second window which came straight to the home page without any problems (where I could see that I was already logged on) but then once again I could get no further.

Also if I refresh the page when a window is frozen it seems to get to the same place before freezing again.

Holding the cursor over the Network icon? (2 vdu’s) in the bottom right hand corner of the screen shows that the “Speed Touch” modem is connected with a speed of somewhere around the 2.5Gb range and the bytes Sent / Received are counting up.

At one point last night the Security Essentials scan froze half way through followed by the whole system freezing too (nothing would respond including Ctrl / Alt / Del) though this the first time this has happened since I had the Malware cleared with help from the Malware Removal section on here.

Finally at around 23:15, just as I was about to give up and switch, off everything suddenly started working again, I tried searching through Google and going to websites via my shortcuts and everything worked just fine :confused:.

6. andy1965

andy1965 Thread Starter

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice