1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection problems...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Foamer, Oct 2, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foamer

Foamer Guest Thread Starter

My sister just bought a new computer...
    It be a Cybertron with M810D Socket A motherboard with a Athlon 2000XP CPU. Modem: PCtel HSP56 MR.
    The operating system insulting it: Windows XP.

Now to the problem...
    The computer connects to the internet fine and surfs well for about 5 minutes. Then almost like a switch is thrown the thing will not download a page anymore. "Can't find server." Outlook Express also the same. This situation doesn't change until the system is rebooted.

The computer came with 128 MB. (Shared with video.) I added 128MB's more... Changed the video memory from 32 to 8MB's This also didn't help the problem. Shut down all un-needed and unused programs from boot up. I even hooked to another internet service provider... no joy.

Hoping this is enogh information...
    Any ideas about what the problem could be???

2. mobo

mobo

Done any spyware or virus scans ?

3. Foamer

Did a scan with Ad-Aware.

Added ZoneAlarm...

Didn't install a virus scan yet... Thinking of scaning the HD with my computer...

I though virus too... BUT... this computer was having this problem day one out of the box.

Side note:
    First thing she installed on the computer brand new was a program called "Anonymizer". When she got on the internet and was having the connection problem I got leary of this program and removed it using Add/Remove programs.

4. mobo

mobo

Do a free online scan here .

5. mobo

mobo

Click here to get a free antivirus. You will have to enter a valid email to get the product key to run it as well.

6. mobo

mobo

You should also post a hijackthis log from her pc to analyze further.

7. Foamer

Found a "nachi" worm. Removed said worm.

Everything seems to be running smooth.

Thanks for giving me a stear in the right direction.

8. mobo

mobo

welcome

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169142

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice