1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Topkat, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topkat

Topkat Thread Starter

Apologies if this is a bit long-winded.

Over the last few days I've been having annoying intermittent internet connection problems with Win2k (SP4), Adsl connection. I made a few updates which I'll list, but I'm having trouble figuring which is the culprit.

I firstly updated 2 latest critical windows updates, and from lack of response in this thread I'm assuming that it's not this that's causing my problem.

I also downloaded Spyguard from http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html. I tried to uninstall this and was told that certain .dll files had to be removed manually. I ended up deleting them in safe mode since they were stubborn. For a bit everything seemed ok but a couple of hours later back to problems again.

Finally the last I can think it might be is updating my FW from SygatePro 5.0 to 5.1.

Em, it's probably something blatant staring me in the face, that would be just typical. But I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
    Topkat

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

"having annoying intermittent internet connection problems"

Can you elaborate a bit?
    The crystal ball is a bit fogged at the moment.

Is your ADSL modem internal, external, a router/modem ??

3. Topkat

Topkat Thread Starter

Well, I can't be very specific about when the connection goes because I'm not sure what's causing it. Sometimes I can't connect straight from start-up, and only after trying to use features like NAV update, SpywareBlaster update or sometimes receiving mail on Microsoft Outlook will suddenly pop the connecton back as it was.

Here's a link to the modem.

Is this enough info?

4. Topkat

Topkat Thread Starter

I had to set a few things back the way I am used to with the FW, and once I turned the warnings to pop-up a box rather than being silent I noticed that after I boot up and try to access the internet using IE, NAV update, etc... I am getting message saying ntoskrnl.exe on port 137 is blocked. This seems to be NETBIOS browsing request over TCP/IP. Convinced it must be the FW, I tried to check settings again then a reboot and *pop* everything's back again??? :confused:

Am I going to have to lose the FW? Or is there something else anyone can think of?

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

That modem does not include a router, which is a great pity.

You do need a firewall in that case. Modems with routers supporting NAT (Network Address Translation) are an effective inwards only firewall, and you only need a fw if you are concerned about outward traffic.

I suspect your problem is fw related, am unsure why ntoskrnl is wanting access. As that is the core kernel for the OS, its likely indicating where your problem is. Hopefully someone may know more detail.

If you look on Google for port 137 ntoskrnl there are other discussions on this, haven't spent the time to find any conclusions.

It may be as simple as configuring your fw to allow access on that port if its kosher.

6. Topkat

Topkat Thread Starter

I'm resurrecting this thread because now the only way to access ANYTHING now once I boot the Win2k is to run a full scan with NAV. Once the scan is finished I can connect again by NAV liveupdate and clicking ok to the following 2 Sygate FW dialogue boxes:

*services and controller app is trying to connect to (159.134.237.6) packet to 53 (DOMAIN-Domain Name Server). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

*LiveUpdate Engine COM Module is trying to connect to liveupdate.symantecupdate.com (213.244.181.14) packet to 80 (HTTP - World Wide Web). Do you want to allow this program to access the network?

This seems to be the only way to connect now. Is there possibly some conflict between the firewall and NAV. Any suggestions, before I have to start uninstalling everything.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice