1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection randomly dies shortly

Discussion in 'Networking' started by captaint04, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. captaint04

captaint04 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I can't seem to figure this problem out. Every so often (from seconds to a couple minutes) my internet connection will fail, but only for less than a second. Typically no one would even notice this, but it becomes a problem when you use software like Messenger or you play games online. The disconnection is long enough to sign you off.

I've been watching a ping I set to yahoo.com for a good 10 minutes, and sure enough, there are occasional spots where for just 1-3 attemps it will time out, then get replies just fine again.

I use a wired ethernet connection, not wireless. The ethernet port is part of my motherboard, its a fairly modern motherboard, not an old one, and I made sure the driver for it was up to date. Any ideas?

If this helps:

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

WELCOME TO TSG:

Not much to go on here,but let me float 2 ideas.
    Has this just started or has it been going on for a while?
    Might see if there is a more current firmware update for your router.
    Far out in left field,you might try another ethernet cable,but that is probably not the issue.
    Other than that,I can't think of where else to look.

3. captaint04

The problem has been going on for at least a few months, maybe longer. I've been dealing with it hoping it would just go away. I'm thinking maybe its an issue with Comcast's line or something, because I don't know what it could be on my end. I suppose I could check for a router firmware update, but I've had this router for quite a long time and it used to work just fine, so would a firmware update be necessary? Its an average linksys router. Is there any way of seeing if its the router or the signal coming into the router? If the signal coming into the router is fine, then we know its the router or my ethernet controller in my motherboard or such.

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:Here is a sure way to eliminate or isolate the problem to the router.
    Hardwire your pc directly to the comcast modem.Any network changes like this will require a modem power on reset(power off the modem for at least 30 seconds).If the problem stops,then we have a router issue,if not,then we have a pc, adapter or ISP issue..
    Checking for a firmware upgrade for the router is always one of the first things we will suggest as well as doing a router reset(hold the reset button down for at least 15 seconds)
    As far as checking the incoming cable,signal and connections,, you will be totally at the mercy of your Comcast supplier.
    As to when this started,can you remember any system changes that were made?New hardware or software apps?

5. captaint04

Thanks, attaching the computer directly to the modem sounds like a good way to check what side of the network the problem is coming from. I'll give it a go when I have the opportunity and let you know of the results.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While you're connected directly to the modem, run the following tests.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

7. captaint04

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, it appears to be something other than the router. You still are dropping a lot of packets on the first hop. If this result repeats with more than one computer, I'd be looking at modem or ISP issues.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice