1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

internet connection share

Discussion in 'Networking' started by polarbear, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polarbear

polarbear Thread Starter

I am trying to set up an internet connection share. I cant share files because the host pc is XP Pro with NTFS and the network pc is Windows 98 Fat32. When I did the setup the Wizard said I could use the XP disk in the 98 system to complete the task. I also followed the directions from this note,

Subject:
    Date: Sunday, March 07, 2004 3:05 PM

Try this:
    "Just plug the Crossover cable into the two computers. To set it up go to Control Panel/Network.

If there is and entry there for TCP/IP fine. If not you need to add it. Click Add the Protocal/Add. Select Microsoft and select TCP/IP and OK.

Once you have TCP/IP install highlight it and click properties. Click specifiy IP address and insert 192.168.000.001. Enter sub net mask of 255.255.255.000.

You may get asked if you want to re-boot at this stage. Decline as there is more to do.

Click File and Printer sharing and tick both boxes. Now you can re-boot.

Do the same on the other computer but this time enter an IP address if 192.168.000.002 with the same mask. Install file and printer sharing as well and reboot.

Once the computers have re-booted you need to set up sharing. Right click on any drive or folder in Windows Explorer and clcik Sharing. Click shared as: Either axcept the name offered or enter one of your own. In access type I would suggest Full if you are the only one to be using these computers, otherwise enter passwords if required.

Do this for every Drive or folder you want to be visible of the other computer. If you select a Drive of Folder, all sub folders are automatically visible."

Now what I have is the host is detecting the networked pc because when I reboot the network pc the host see's the connection gone.

On the network pc there is an error message: The system has detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.0.1 with the system having hardware address 00:07:95:AC:19:13. Where am I going wrong and what do I have to do to just share a connection and not worry about sharing files.

One other small question. Do I have to install antivirus and firewall on the second pc or is it protected with the hosts system

Daniel

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/252968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice