1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection sharing and Kerio firewall

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tvamvarg, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

Hi (bit of reading here - hope someone manages to get the picture).
    I've got a (1) XP rig with two NICs and a second (2) XP with a single NIC. ICS is used to access the Internet from (2) through a cable modem that is on (1). It works splendidly.

Now - I'd like to run Kerio personal firewall on (1), 'cause it gives me some comfort in being able to control what goes in and out (XP's built-in firewall is quite non-accessible...), but if I switch it on, ICS will no longer work properly (at least as far as IE is concerned).

I've created a custom address group and a rule that allows any connections to/from (2).
    I can ping (1) from (2). I can ping anything, even URLs (they are resolved to the correct IP address, but using IE on (2) does not work.
    I asked Kerio to display alert boxes for all 'deny' rules, but no denied requests are shown... shouldn't it, if it's stopping anything?

Do any of you have any idea of what I need to enable in Kerio (I have to suppose that that's what stopping it) in order to be able to use ICS all the way? If it can be done at all, that is.

Edit: I have seen the option 'Is running on Internet Gateway' but I'd really like to stay in control... Rightly or wrongly...

Thanks for any assistance, pointing me to previous threads, etc!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why not just use a broadband router?

3. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

Only because I did not have one lying around, but I happened to have an extra NIC...

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

For $15 on a rebate deal, I'd buy the router in a heartbeat, it takes all the pain out of configuring the network and Internet sharing. As a bonus, it offers firewall protection. :)

5. tvamvarg

tvamvarg Thread Starter

I won't be able to find that good a deal ($15), but I'm with you nontheless - I'm just too much caught up in the problem-solving (Occam is right, as always). And then it can be wireless as well...

Kind regards.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/175055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice