1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection sharing, gonna pull my hair out.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bikerbcs, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bikerbcs

bikerbcs Thread Starter

I have a computer downstairs (Computer A) that is getting internet via a USB wireless dongle from a library across the street.

I have a computer upstairs (Computer B) I want to hook up to the internet too. I would like to do this via internet connection sharing and running an ethernet cord to the empty port on the back of Computer A to the empty port on the back of Computer B.

I have tried too many things to list.. But in the end even though both network adapters work fine and have the latest drivers, and there is a perfectly good ethernet cord connecting eachother, the LED lights on the adapters do not light up showing they are connected, which doesn't make sense at all.

I think it might be a worthy note that the wireless dongle I bought came with a disc that installed it's own wireless LAN utility. (REALTEK RTL8187 Wireless Lan Utility)

I think it's also a worthy note, that my friend who has a laptop with wifi, connected an ethernet cord from his laptop to my upstairs computer (Computer B) and enabled internet connection sharing and bam, instant connection on computer B.

I'll also add, I connected a spare modem via the ethernet cable to each of the computers individually an they lit up, so I know it isn't the network adapters or the cable, but for some reason when I try to connect the computers together via ethernet they don't light up or detect each other.

Please help, been messing with this literally all day, trying to assign static ips, restarting, getting errors..
    Here's a screenshot of all the adapters on computer A.

[​IMG]
    Internet connection: When I right click it and click enable it says "connection failed!"

1394 connection: don't know what the hell it is

local area connection: don't know what the hell it is, I only have one ethernet port but had it replaced, could be drivers from the old adapter, more then likely.

local area connection 2: this is what I have computer B connected to through ethernet, but as you can see it says nothing is plugged in, I tried updating the drivers for the adapters on both PC's

wireless network connection: that's my wireless usb dongle and how I'm getting internet on computer A.

2. bikerbcs

bikerbcs Thread Starter

kinda urgent, the downstairs computer is my fathers and the computer upstairs is for me. im using the wireless dongle from his computer on my computer upstairs now to post this.

could it be because of the type of ethernet cord? i been reading a little and i didnt know there were different types. i thought an ethernet cord was an ethernet cord? would the wrong type of ethernet cord cause the computers to not read eachother?

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

I'm pretty sure the library's wifi is for their patrons and not for everyone in your house to get free internet.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If prunejuice is wrong in this particular case please provide us a link to the library's terms of use that says the internet access is for neighbors.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice