Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet Connection Sharing Issue! (Win7)

3K views 33 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
Here's my situation:

I have 2 computers running Windows 7, a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is the "main" computer, and is connected to the internet via cable modem. The desktop has 2 network cards. One is connected to the cable modem. The other is connected, via crossover cable, to my laptop.

A couple years ago, when I first got the laptop, I set up ICS somehow and everything was working great. I was able to share my desktop's internet connection and I was able to see the shared directories I had set up on my desktop.

I had disconnected my laptop several months ago, and it has been dormant in it's carrying case since then. I just took it out today, and I plugged in the cable to connect it to my desktop. For some reason, I no longer have internet access. The network icon in the tray shows the yellow "!" symbol saying "no internet access". I have no idea what happened, and I don't remember how I had set it up in the first place. I tried for hours searching forums online, finding dozens of different setups and "fixes" to ICS issues. I tried setting the IP to 192.168.137.1 on both machines, since it was never clear in these posts exactly which connection to set to what.

I am terribly confused and there is a pressing matter that I NEED to get this connection working (here, at home) in order to tend to. I don't understand why this is so complicated, and why I cannot simply click a button to enable sharing between two systems running the exact same version of Windows. It is incredibly frustrating to me, and I'm about to lose my mind.

I need help. What ARE the correct steps to enable ICS between 2 Windows 7 computers via crossover cable and double network card on the main system??

See less See more
#2 ·
Try this:

On the computer of which you are getting this shared internet from, go to

Start > Run > type in ' ncpa.cpl ' > this will bring you to ' Network Connections ' > now find the adapter of which you get your internet from on that PC (Ethernet, WiFi etc.); right-click and go to ' properties ' > Click on the 'Sharing' tab, and confirm that the box that says "Allow other network users to connect through..." is checked.

Afterwards click 'Ok' and see if you could connect another device using that computer's internet connection.

#3 ·
Heh, yes, that's checked. :)

I WISH it were as simple as that to connect 2 Windows computers. If I remember correctly, that's just the initial step in a LONG list of processes you need to go through in order to get this all working.

Thanks for the response.

EDIT: Btw, I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers in general. I have 20 years experience with Windows PCs and over 15 with Linux (although there have been long periods of time where I almost didn't use computers at all over that time period, so it's not a solid 20 years - I forget things). Majored in CS for a bit, but never completed degree. So be as technical as you want if it helps. I can usually fix almost any obscure PC problem, and I have NO idea why this seemingly simple task is giving me such a headache. I'm not great with networking, but something must be messed up somewhere. The "simple steps" just don't work here.

#4 ·
When I go into the IPv4 properties for each connection (the 2 on my desktop and 1 on my laptop), what should it look like?

On my desktop, for the main internet connection between cable modem and network card 1 on desktop, they show:

"Obtain IP address automatically" is checked.
Use the following DNS server addresses: <my 2 preferred DNS servers are listed - shouldnt be a factor here>

On my desktop, for the connection between the laptop and network card 2 on desktop, the properties show:

Use the following IP address: 192.168.137.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: <blank>

On my laptop, for the connection between laptop and network card 2 on desktop, the properties show:

"Obtain IP address automatically" is checked.
"Obtain DNS server address automatically" is checked.

I'm guessing it's a problem on my desktop's end, because when I boot into linux on my laptop (it's dual boot) the connection doesn't work either, and it always used to work just fine.

#6 ·
For your desktop (or Main computer), configure it to "Obtain IP address automatically"

I just tried a similar set up as yours with my old PC to see if I encounter any problem, and indeed I have. It was showing as 'no internet access' and 'unindentified network'.

So what I did was go to Network Connection properties on the old Laptop hooked up to the Main computer, and went to the Ethernet connection's properties, then from there, go to IPv4 and make sure the "Obtain IP automatically..." is checked.

Afterwards it should try and identified your LAN connection but if it fails, simply run the diagnostic on the laptop and it will correct the IP configuration and the Laptop should then receive internet.

#7 ·
Also make sure the Main computer is also set to obtaining IPv4 automatically. And I don't think it's necessary to disable IPv6 for it to work, your right, it shouldn't be an issue. Though you can always try disabling it if you want to try that but I reckon it won't help.

#8 ·
On my desktop, the main internet connection (from network card 1 to cable modem) is set to obtain IP automatically. Under that I have my 2 DNS servers listed.

On my desktop, the secondary connection (from network card 2 to laptop) is set at 192.168.137.1. Under that I have the 2 DNS fields BLANK.

On my laptop, the main (and only) connection (from laptop to network card 2 on desktop) is set to obtain IP automatically. Under that, it's set to obtain DNS automatically.

I just decided to try something new, instead of obtaining DNS automatically on my laptop, I set it to 192.168.137.1 (same IP as network card 2 on desktop). This allowed me to view my desktop for a BRIEF few seconds on my laptop, but then a message came up saying it could not reach //DESKTOP. This is all really confusing the mess out of me.

When I run the troubleshooter on my laptop it ends up saying "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Not Fixed (x)

#10 ·
The only thing I know for a fact is that SOMETHING is supposed to be set to 192.168.137.1

That's all I know, and I at least think I have that part correct (network card 2 on desktop's properties are set to that IP)

EDIT: I just tried changing the settings for the connection between network card 2 on desktop to laptop to "obtain automatically" instead of 192.168.137.1 just to test, and indeed it does not help. Changing it back.

#12 ·
EDIT: I just tried changing the settings for the connection between network card 2 on desktop to laptop to "obtain automatically" instead of 192.168.137.1 just to test, and indeed it does not help. Changing it back.
Try configuring it for both the desktop network card 2 going to the Laptop & the Laptop's network card accepting that Ethernet cable.

Then on the Laptop, it should then attempt to get an IP automatically, if it fails and returns a 'unidentified' error, then run the diagnostic and it should fix it.

It's better to have it be dynamic and the Laptop will automatically receive a 192.168.137.X IP from the LAN connection.

#13 ·
Try configuring it for both the desktop network card 2 going to the Laptop & the Laptop's network card accepting that Ethernet cable.

Then on the Laptop, it should then attempt to get an IP automatically, if it fails and returns a 'unidentified' error, then run the diagnostic and it should fix it.

It's better to have it be dynamic and the Laptop will automatically receive a 192.168.137.X IP from the LAN connection.
Will do. I'll let you know what happens in a minute or two. I think I have already done this, though.

Thanks for your help.

#17 ·
This seems to be how windows works. Work your butt off trying all different random methods to get something to work. Finally get it to "magically" work after countless hours. Then if you don't use whatever it was you set up or fixed for a brief period of time, it stops functioning completely and you'll never figure out how you got it to work in the first place.

:(

#19 ·
Disable ICS on the desktop. Make sure that second connection is set to 'obtain IP auto.'

Use a new cable--crossover cable not needed unless both NICs are pretty old.

Now enable ICS again and see if it works.

By the way, why don't you just get a router instead of messin' with ICS?

#21 ·
Disable ICS on the desktop. Make sure that second connection is set to 'obtain IP auto.'

Use a new cable--crossover cable not needed unless both NICs are pretty old.

Now enable ICS again and see if it works.

By the way, why don't you just get a router instead of messin' with ICS?
I never felt the need to get a router in the past because I actually got it working very well in the beginning, and it worked flawlessly for years.

I will try these steps. What annoys me to no end is the fact that my connection was working WITHOUT it set to obtain IP automatically in the first place (1,000% sure). So if this DOES end up working, I'll be even more confused. This is ridiculous...

EDIT: Also, maybe it's not a crossover I'm using then. Been a while since I set it up. The PC is a few years old but it's custom built with very nice parts (gaming PC), so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

#23 ·
Um..... I disabled it on the main connection (the only one it was checked for), tried re-enabling it, and now it gives an error:

"An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled."
"The dependency service or group failed to start."

I just remembered, my internet stopped working on my desktop a few weeks back out of no where. I was having a similar issue on the desktop (yellow "!") with my connection, and when I tried fixing it this same error was coming up "dependency service". I checked a few forums and finally found a solution, which was some obscure command that I don't even remember.

Now I'm getting this dependency service error again when I try to re-enable ICS.

#25 ·
I just remembered, my internet stopped working on my desktop a few weeks back out of no where. I was having a similar issue on the desktop (yellow "!") with my connection, and when I tried fixing it this same error was coming up "dependency service". I checked a few forums and finally found a solution, which was some obscure command that I don't even remember.
Yeah try running the reset commands for tcp/ip and winsock.
commands:

netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (reset TCP/IP stack)
netsh winsock reset catalog (reset winsock entries)

(make sure to run cmd as admin)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.