1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection sharing with vista and ME

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Gr1nreaper, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gr1nreaper

Gr1nreaper Thread Starter

I have an HP computer with windows vista connected to my ISP (Comcast) via ethernet cable to the cable modem. The modem does not act as a router. The HP with vista also has a wireless network adapter. I also have a Pentium III with windows Millennium and a wireless ethernet card. How do I setup internet connection sharing on my vista machine so I can browse the internet on the machine that has millennium?

Step-by-step instructions greatly appreciated!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Vista ICS.

After about 2 or 3 days you should be ready to go buy a router. :)

3. Gr1nreaper

Gr1nreaper Thread Starter

I got the millennium machine to connect to the other pc wirelessly via the belkin software that came with the wireless card, but I could not browse the internet or view files from either machine to the other. Where do I go to set up the ip addresses, DNS, etc. in windows millennium? Is that what I need to do, or should DHCP work fine? Also, why do you think I should get a router?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Because you "could not browse the internet or view files from either machine to the other." And did you notice the part (I think it's in that article) about every time the ad-hoc wireless goes down for any reason the ICS is automatically removed, causing you to enable it again?

Did you follow the guidelines in that link? Before you enable ICS both wireless connections should be getting APIPA (169.254.x.y). After you enable ICS the Vista's wireless will be assigned 168.192.0.1 and the ME will get the correct IP configuration. You need set no IP addresses yourself.

EDIT: In case that article didn't mention it, any non-Windows firewall (security suite) must be properly configured for the desired access.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753568

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice