1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection sharing witn win89 and xp

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DarkSlayer, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkSlayer

DarkSlayer Thread Starter

I've got two computers on my network now. I can't get them to commnicate properly and share an internet connection. I have one computer running Windows XP Pro, and another running Windowx 98 SE. The XP computer can see the 98 computer, but can't access it in anyway. when I try to view files it gives me an error message.

\\Fossil (it's an old computer) is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the network to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

If I look at the network from the computer running windows 98, it's the only one I can see. The computer with XP doesnt show up. I have file and printer sharing enabled, and beside that I dont know what to do.

2. plejon

plejon

Have you shared a map/directory ?

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

router or hub?
    gateway set up?

you need to be sharing at least one file, folder, directory by going to my computer or windows explorer, right clicking on the folder or directory, click sharing, etc

try practically networked for more detailed info

4. DarkSlayer

I've got the two computers connected to a hub and I have all the hard drives on the 98 computer and the c drive on the xp computer shared. I've checked to make sure the workgroup names are the same, and they have different names. Windows xp keeps giving me some kind of message about an ip conflict but it wont give me any mroe informatino than that.

5. plejon

plejon

Did you give them static IP addresses ? Or are you using DHCP ?

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

using ICS from windows (from your first post)?
    network set up from the XP PC, and that's the one with the internet connection?

can you ping each machine from itself - 127.0.0.1 ?

on the win98 machine - check the IP address
    start
    run
    winipcfg
    more info
    find your adapter in the pull down in the ethernet apapter info section of the window (lower half)

XP uses ipconfig i think

that practically netwroked url i gave a few posts ago does a step by step through ICS with XP
    - ICS connections are tough to trouble shoot

7. DarkSlayer

Well... I just talked my dad into getting a router for the thing so now I'm going to have three computers, two with xp and one with 98 (I may just break down and reformat that one and install xp on it too, though it would be even slower). So hopefully I'll be able to just plug everything into the router and set it up from there. We'll see... A few other things... Using the router, where does the software for the dsl modem get installed? Every computer or just one, or none? Also, can I save myself from having to get longer cable and hook my hub to my router via the uplink port, and have two computers on the hub, and then the hub, a computer, and the modem on the router without having to configure anything extra?

8. DarkSlayer

Thats it.. In the future I'm staying as far away from networks as I can possibly get. For some odd reason, now that I have a router. It works... The scary thing is, I havent installed the router. Their using ICS. Oh well, thanks for the help guys.

9. jbcalg

jbcalg

ain't puters fun?

i'm not an ICS fan, it was very sporadic between my two machines, always seemed to be reboting one or the other, went to a hub, then a router so the primary PC didn't have to be on all the time

no need for a hub with a router, better not to use a hub with only 3 computers, just more connections to go wrong
    - internet connection into the wan port
    - each PC irectly into the router

you get the advantage of the nat firewall that way

router software on the gateway/primary machine

dsl software? like pppoe you mean?
    should be part of the router, no need to have the 'dsl software' installed

another source is bob carrick's site

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice