1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection Sharing

Discussion in 'Networking' started by springbrk200, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. springbrk200

springbrk200 Thread Starter

I'm on a college network with a desktop and a laptop. Both running xp. I'm trying to share my internet connection from an wired connection over a wireless peer to peer connection. (I have both a wired and a wireless card on my desktop). I tried bridging the connections, but either my computer or the school network is disconnecting my desktop from it's wired connection. I then tried to connect by using ICS, the problem is It won't enable. I got an error msg that said that it was disabled. This is due to my earlier problem with windows firewall, I disabled the service. It is wierd that this also disables ICS. I tried to restart it, but I got the error msg "Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. If you are curious as to how I disabled my windows firewall check http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/358988-disable-windows-xp-firewall.html
    As always any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Why not just drop $10 on a cheap switch.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why screw around with ICS? You could use a wireless router and just connect the WAN connection to the college connection. You'll have both wired and wireless capability.

4. springbrk200

springbrk200 Thread Starter

Cisco Clean access prevents that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice