1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Sharing!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CyBerAliEn, Nov 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn Thread Starter

Hey,

Well... awhile back I got a brand new computer loaded with Windows XP Home. It is great, well, I got it networked with the other one. But had trouble doing so, and some how accidentally got the network up, I also got it to share my internet connection, which I don't remember how I did, it just happened automatically when I connected to the internet. The other computer was loaded with Windows 98 and my computer (XP Home) had the direct internet connection. Both are networked through the hub.

So what's my problem?

For no reason (that I know of), the network stopped working. After a few weeks of trying to get it setup, someone sent me a file which I followed, and I got the network working. I was excited and satisfied. But for some reason, my internet connection wasn't sharing. I've been trying to ask how to fix this, but even the network engineers who do this for a living say they don't know how, they're obviously being a lazy ***. Anyway, I found a bunch of stuff about Windows 98 and going to Add/Remove and bla bla, well, I did... but couldn't set it up. Plus, those client host software don't work on Windows XP cause I've tried. I need someone who can help me, either through here or by email, or even MSN Messenger ([email protected] is my email address and for MSN Messenger) who can help me fix this. Please, someone help! All the websites and crap say the same thing, which don't work, I don't know if its the settings on my XP comp or the 98 comp. Please help me get this solved ASAP!

Also, I don't know if this means anything, but I can't even play any games over my LAN ever since I haven't been able to share my internet.

Andrew ([email protected])

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

I wished I knew how to help you... I need to learn how to setup a network myself

Maybe I will learn watching this forum.

Savvy :)

3. angel

angel

Well, I'm not really sure where you're at but can you list all of the network settings for the 98 machine (TCP/IP-->network card)?

Also, have you tried:
    On the computer with the connection, click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Setup Wizard and walk through that again...

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Maybe you can send him an e-mail & let him know you are on his forum ready to help.... or do you want me too ?

5. angel

angel

I sent him an email. Thanks, Savvy!
    :D

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You're welcome & thanks for coming to help him... this is the one that was sitting for two days not touched.

7. CyBerAliEn

CyBerAliEn Thread Starter

Hey,

Thanks for replying. I got all your emails, so thanks again!

OK...

Windows XP Home:

1.) Has direct internet connection.
    2.) Connection is 56k.
    3.) Network IP: 192.168.0.1
    4.) Network Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    5.) That's nearly all the settings for it that I think you need to know.

Windows 98 SE:

1.) This one does not have direct connection and needs to connect to internet over network.
    2.) IP (etc) is setup to obtain automatically.
    3.) DNS, the gate thing, etc... all disabled, except one is on Resolution something.
    4.) That's about all I can remember and think you need to know.

Network (overall):

1.) Setup with each one connecting into hub.

As for the wizard crap, none of them have worked. If you can chat to me through MSN Messenger (Email for Messenger: [email protected]) or AIM (Screen Name: CSWSHD) I would appreciate it. I think maybe starting from sratch or setting up the network manually on both computers would be best. Most things on the internet don't address my problem or are completely out dated. I'll try to be online as much as I can this afternoon and tonight incase you can get on. I'm in Arizona so I am currently in Mountain Standard Time.

Also, incase you don't know, etc... my network works. I can file share and printer share, etc... But I am unable to share my internet connection. When I setup a network in the wizard, it says Internet Connection Sharing Enabled, and under the Network properties on the dial-up thing, it is set to enable sharing, etc... So I'm guessing it's something stupid that I never did.

Andrew

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59579

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice