1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet Connection Sharing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lonesome_wolf2000, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

I have to computers on a home network and I cant seem to get the ICS to work... here's the details:

Network: Ethernet connected with crossover cable (nic to nic, no hub). Both Machines are Windows 98 second edition.

Comp1: Is set to dial to internet using a dial-up connection. Has ICS installed. Has tcp-ip bound to both dial-up adapter and NIC. The tcp-ip on the NIC is set to 192.168.0.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0
    Also IPX/SPX is installed.

Comp2: Is set to connect to LAN for internet access. Has tcp-ip installed and bound to NIC. Set to 192.168.0.2 with subnet 255.255.255.0 IPX/SPX is also installed. TcP/Ip as default. And gateway is set 192.168.0.1.

Computers see each other on the network. Computer 1 can connect to the the internet and surf, computer 2 cannot.

What's the deal?

2. buf

buf

Wolf:
    The protocols in both machines should be the same. It has been a while now since I had dailup and networking with 2 PCs. Good luck and post back with your results. Maybe some else will jump in here to help.
    BTW, I doubt the need for IPX/SPX. Also, an excellent source for helping you with this problem is practically networked home. Sorry I don't have a link for the site but do a search for it.

3. buf

buf

Hey---my forgetter must have broken and forgot!! We have a Networking group on techguy. Do some reading here also.

4. hottesttotty

hottesttotty

Hey lonesome_wolf2000! Had this exact same problem when we set up our home network. This is my brother's department, thank God, and this is what he had us do:

First of all, did you assign your ip addresses, or let them be assigned automatically? He had us assign them, which, if you want to do that, they need to be as follows "10.0.0.1" & "10.0.0.2", and so on, as long as it's "10.0.0.x". Then, whatever ip you assign to your main computer, enter that as the gateway for your other computer. Then, under DNS config. choose to enable DNS and type in the host name for the other computer and it's ip# in the box where it says DNS server search order.

I'm pretty sure that should do it...give it a shot and let us know how it's going!

Good luck!

TT:)

5. lonesome_wolf2000

lonesome_wolf2000 Thread Starter

Ok, heres what ive got now.....

I set the IP's of the machines to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2.

MSN Messenger can now log in on both machines!!, however, i cannot get Yahoo messenger to work, nor Internet Explorer. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE but it had no effect. I checked internet settings for it too, nothing helped....

I then went and downloaded a different browser (Neoplanet) hoping that it would be able to surf, however it would not. IE works on the host computer, but i still cannot get the client computer to surf the net. Please help

6. angel

angel

Looks to me like everything you have so far is correct (except I'd get rid of IPX/SPX - you don't need it).
    Did you enter the DNS information as mentioned because that's what it sounds like your problem is. If entering the IP of the gateway for the DNS doesn't work, just enter your ISP's DNS servers.
    To confirm it's DNS causing your prob, ping 24.137.3.11 from the 2nd computer. Do you get a response? If so, try to ping www.helponthe.net. If you do not get a response pinging the name, it's definitely DNS settings.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice