1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection slow.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hisbeauty4ashes, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hisbeauty4ashes

hisbeauty4ashes Thread Starter

HI friends,

I am so frustrated!:mad: I live in a very small town where internet service choices are slim to none. One is Charter the other is Centurylink. Well I was with Charter and had all kinds of problems with them. Sorry if this hurts someoones feelings but it is true. So I switched over to Centurylink.Well I like the service of centurylink and wow my computer is more slow with their 1.5 then I had with Charter with just .1.0MBS.

So I contact Century link and so they have me run this test and I am not getting all of my 1.5 I am just getting 1.28. Hello! I at least had all of my 1.0MB.

Is this true, "Is cable Internet better then Ethernet"?

Or is there something I do not know about making the internet faster?

Thanks for any wisdom here.:)

2. TekTime

TekTime

In my experience, cable Internet is often fast as far as max speed.
    You're getting 1.28, but you should try to run a few more tests, even at different times, and see if they
    average out to 1.5. Usually it does.

Have you tried speedtest?

One thing I've learned is that if you aren't getting the speed you are paying for on average (1.5), then demand a partial credit!

----

By the way are you using a wireless router/wireless modem? If you are connected to the net using a wireless
    connection, that is most definitely slowing down the speed to your PC. Hard-wired Ethernet connections usually yield the fastest (most stable) connection!

3. hisbeauty4ashes

Yes I have a wireless router. What is interesting though is that when I had the 1.0 I had faster speed. Hummm Anyway I do use Ethernet connection. I tried to tweak my computer a bit so it would run faster and it got up to 1.36 so hey it is a little better. lol

I was having a hard time streaming movies off the internet.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    As long as you're getting up to about 90% of the advertised rated speed, you're okay.

--------------------------------------------------------

5. hisbeauty4ashes

Yes true however this means something is wrong with both of my computers then. I was able to stream just fine but with Charter and was just 1.0. Here I have 1.5 and it just freezes when I try to watch a movie to me this seems a bit crazy! lol

6. CenturyLinkHelp

CenturyLinkHelp

Hello,

Regarding your issue getting less than expected download speed. We can have someone take a look for you. Send the information to [email protected] with Speed issue in the subject line; we can escalate this internally to see if there is something that needs to be addressed.
    Regards,
    Steve @CenturyLinkHelp

7. hisbeauty4ashes

Oh wow did not expect that. lol I did call Centurylink they just told me it is what it is. Hummm

8. hisbeauty4ashes

I did this and never got a response from Centurylink.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice