1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection timing out (possibly due to old Linksys router)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JEazy86, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

As of lately, my Internet connection has been constantly timing out after a long period of inactivity and I believe the reason for it is my wireless router, which is a Linksys WRT54G. In order to connect my laptop back to the Internet, I have to unplug my router then plug it back in. This router is about 5 years old; do I need to replace my current router with a new one or is there a way I can reconfigure its settings so it doesn't keep timing out?

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It is probably something not related to age, so I wouldn't buy a new router yet (FWIW, I use an 11 year-old Netgear RT-314).

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    11 year-old router? No wonder our country is still pretty much in a recession. To the mall my friend and buy, buy, buy. :D

I agree that the router's age is immaterial, but a lot of wireless routers do seem to die off by about year 4 or 5 or 6.

More to the point, make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it. The "hard" reset sometimes coaxes it into behaving.

Is the computer losing connection to the router or is the router losing its connection to the modem/ISP?

4. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

The computer keeps losing its connection to the router. The modem works just fine.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You said this happens "after a long period of inactivity." Are you sure your computer is not dropping the connection? Maybe powering down the adapter? Does this happen with ethernet or Wi-Fi or both?

6. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

I'm connected by Wi-Fi, so I've not yet tried this with Ethernet. What I meant by "a long period of inactivity" is I'll sign off the Internet for a while and the next time I get back on, my browser won't load any web sites because there is no connection between the computer and the router. Like I said in the first post, the way I fix this is to unplug then plug the router back in. And I'm honestly getting tired of having to do that.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "sign off the Internet"?

And when you "get back on" to what are you getting on?

8. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

What part of that didn't you understand? When I log off my Internet browser (mainly Firefox, sometimes IE) and then get back on hours later. There is no connection.

9. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

And I've just tried to hook up my laptop directly to the modem and it doesn't even load any web sites. It says "limited to no connectivity".

10. Tony6212

Tony6212

These guys are here to help you Bub, remarks like the one you gave will get you absolutely nowhere, If you have noticed you have not gotten a response since then, Gotta be smart ???

11. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

What did I say that was so wrong? He asked me what I meant by "signing off the Internet" and "getting back on" and I told him.

12. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

So what's up, y'all gonna help me or what?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    During this time when you are not using the browser does the computer Sleep, Standby or Hibernate?

Should we assume that you've done the router reset to factory defaults?

14. JEazy86

JEazy86 Thread Starter

The computer is on standby. And yes, I just reset the router to default settings last night and I'm still getting the same results.

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It's not uncommon for networking to not work after the computer awakens from Standby. Make sure you have the latest wireless driver, as this sometimes helps. With a different adapter or different router the problem may go away.

When I had that problem I would disconnect (easiest with an integrated wireless adapter is to just switch it off) before Standby and then reconnect afterwards.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024376

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice