1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection up/down/slow/fast

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ritzdog, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ritzdog

ritzdog Thread Starter

I have Virgin Media cable internet and have had nothing but problems for months now. To cut a long story short I have:
    PC1 upstairs
    XP SP2 P4 1.8ghz, with belkin 802.11g PCI wireless card (using XP to control wireless)
    PC 2 upstairs
    XP SP2 P4 2.4ghz with Netgear wireless card (can't remember specs but it is a b/g standard)
    Downstairs (about 2m away from PC1)
    Ntl home 100 modem
    Netgear wgr614 v6 router with most current firmware.
    I have numerous problems, if it's not the PC reporting it cannot connect to the router it's the PC connecting to the router perfectly but no internet or it's connected but it's slow as hell Virgin have suggested all the normal things rebooting the boxes etc but I don't want to keep restarting the damn boxes! My neighbours had wireless for almost 2 years now with Virgin/NTL and he's never had any problems.
    The upstairs PC can connect to his router fine (he has belkin mimo cable dsl router G+) and works perfectly for weeks on end. I have upgraded the firmware of the card AND the router and gone through most ofthe frequencies on the router to eliminate interference. The boxes ar on top of kitchen cupboards but not exposed to high temps or near to any pipes or metal ducting etc... On average PC2 can connect to the wireless box more sucessfully but being further away than PC1 (by about 5m) the internet speed is slower. Can someone help me PLEASE!!!!!!!!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A dumb question. Have you tried connecting the machine that's next to the router with a cable? This will be a LOT more reliable as far as connections and speed are concerned. Also, not having two machines contending for the same wireless connection will give the remaining one more bandwidth to connect.

3. ritzdog

ritzdog Thread Starter

I know this would probably solve the issue but PC1 won't be 1m from the box for long as it will be moved to the other side of the room (about 4m) and I don't want lots of cables running round the room that's why I'm trying in vain to get the wireless to work. I have a friend with nearly the exact same setup and his machines work fine. I was hoping for someone to say " this setting could be wrong"

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Only the standard ideas.

Change the channel on the router.
    Upgrade the firmware to the latest available.
    Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Upgrade the driver for the wireless machine to the latest available.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice