1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Internet connection wont work at startup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Jarrad, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jarrad

Jarrad Thread Starter

The following is a problem that I've been having for some time now on both my old Linksys router and my current SMC router:

When I turn on my computer and open a program such as Outlook express to check e-mail, or SpySweeper to check for definition files, it either won't connect to the internet, or will, but EXTREMELY slow. The same with IE; the home page google.com either doesn't load or takes forever.

How I've managed to fix it:
    Everytime I turn on one of the 2 computers having the problem, I have to go to my router through IE. 192.168.2.1, login, go under firewalls, click apply, (I think that step interrupts the internet connection for a split second). Then after I logout, I am able to check my e-mail, definitions, go on the web, whatever... at Cable speed.

My Setup:
    Cable Modem --> SMC Router --> 2x Computers
    Same Cable Modem --> Same SMCRouter --> Ethernet Switch --> 2x computers (the ones having the problem)

My Question:
    Is there any way to be able to get online as soon as my computer starts rather than opening up my router config page?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To make sure the router isn't the problem, can you directly connect one of the computers to the modem and see if the problem goes away.

If it does, then likely either the router is defective or is misconfigured.

3. Jarrad

Jarrad Thread Starter

The whole thing is, I've had this problem with my Linksys router, and now my SMC router as well. the only computers having the problem are the 2 behind the ethernet switch. Although, I'm really not sure why that would make a difference.

4. Jarrad

Jarrad Thread Starter

The whole thing is, I've had this problem with my Linksys router, and now my SMC router as well. the only computers having the problem are the 2 behind the ethernet switch. Although, I'm really not sure why that would make a difference.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the problem is with the switch, have you tried a different one?

6. Jarrad

Jarrad Thread Starter

No, this is the only one I have, and I was kind of hoping there was something software-wise that could be done to fix this. If I called the company that made the switch, they'd probably tell me that because I have to log on to the router before i can get online, that it's a router problem. Nothing in windows networking I can do?

7. JohnJ

JohnJ

Try moving the switch so that it is between the two computers that do work. Then if those two computers end up with the same problem, and the two computers that didn't work start working normally, you'll know it's the switch.

If nothing changes then it could be the router. Try changing the ports around to see if the problem will move from one computer to another. IE: if the switch is connected to port 3 on the router, move it to port 1

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice